🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MP3

Started by
2 comments, last by Slayer-X 24 years, 7 months ago
It is certainly possible to play mp3's using DirectX. But you can't simply tell DirectSound to play it and it will play. You do have to decode it (or have something else decode it), then play the decoded stream. I think Direct / Windows Media may help some with this.

On the same note, I too would be interested in the most cross-platform method of decoding mp3's. I know some open source / free libraries exist, but I don't know which is best.

- Splat

Advertisement
I don't know how to use mp3's with DirectX, but freeamp is considered the best free source....

------------------
Dance with me......

Is it possible to use DirectX to play mp3's in your game, or would you have to figure out the decoding process yourself? Can you just play them like you can wav, mid, etc.? Thanx.
Be aware that there are patent issues with MP3 decoding. The German company that owns patents on MP3 encoding and decoding (Freuhaufer or something like that) allows use of MP3 decoding for free if the product is distributed for free, but if you charge for it you must negotiate a patent royalty.
It sucks but what are you going to do?

I don't believe using DirectShow/Windows Media requires a royalty, since it is part of the Windows Media Player and that is distributed freely, and I'm sure Microsoft has negotiated its own arrangement.

Using DirectShow can be painful, especially if you don't use it the way it was intended - (for example - if you just want to use it as a decoder and want to handle both loading the compressed data and rendering the compressed data to DirectSound yourself).

------------------
-vince

-vince

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement