🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

the right books

Started by
4 comments, last by Malachi 22 years, 12 months ago
I finally brought 2 programming books,Isometric Game Programming with Directx 7 and SAMS Teach Youself Directx 7 in 24 hours, Im hoping to buy SAMS Teach Youself Visual C++ 6 in 24 hours off my cousin. Do you think these are the right books to get me started in games programming in Visual C++?
Advertisement
Sounds pretty good. One comment though, if you don''t know C++ well (assumming your using C++) I would recommend C++ How To Program and/or The C++ Programming Language (For the more advanced C++ coder). Good luck with it.
I''ve personally never read any of those books, but I do recommend "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" by Andre LaMothe, as it teaches you the fundamentals of DirectX and talks about game specific programming. However, it requires a firm grasp of C++ beforhand.

Alexander McAndrew
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
Before you head off into a book that has "game programming" anywhere on its cover, learn C++. Learn the language with a book that teaches simple I/O Dos console programming, such as "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" The book you mentioned will probably require you to have a grasp on C++ so as to learn to use the Visual C++ environment. SO LEARN C++ FIRST!!!

good luck

---------------------------------------
"When I lie, I am telling the truth"
But isn''t Windows Game Programming for Dummies and LaMothe''s other book Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Guru''s obsolete (they are based on DirectX 6)?
Technically speaking since DirectX is built on top of COM technology, Microsoft essentially guarantees a contract with the programmer. This means that no matter what version of DirectX they get up to, they can't change previous versions.

You can use DirectX3 if you so desired, just don't query the newer interfaces. (And of course you can't use the newer functionality of later versions)

So no, those books aren't obsolete, you just aren't using the newest technology. (Some of the techniques those books discuss are still just as present today as they were back when you were poking values into video memory under DOS)

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

[inadvertantly used outdated with obsolete]

Edited by - deadlinegrunt on July 3, 2001 8:08:35 PM

~deadlinegrunt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement