🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Degree

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 4 months ago
So I want to break into a game industry as a programmer. First of all I looked for a University even thought I do not expect that University will do everything for me, I still think that it should effect my programming. Some people said that Teesside University prepares games programmers the best. Or at least very well. So I've looked into their site and have found this course: Computer Games Programming. I have several questions about it: 1)Is anyone learning this course in Teesside University? How is it? What specific do you do there? 2)I've seen that some companies require Software Engineering to be hired. I wonder is this course the same with some more stuff into games programming or is it absolutely different course? I just wonder if this course would matter when looking for a job. 3)Is it hard to find a job as a game programmer? Some sources say that it's not while some of them say it is. I do not really want to make software for companies databases and etc - it looks too boring for me. And totally unchallenging. Probably the most important question (out of those 3) is the 2nd one. I don't want to study a course that wouldn't give me too much usage. Unless it would be super-useful for my programming experience.
Advertisement
I'm studying Software Engineering at The University of Texas. I wanted to pursue a degree in Computer Sciences, but I like Software Engineering more because I prefer to work closer to the hardware. I have two close friends in Computer Science and I get a lot of questions from them regarding memory management, computer architecture, and operating systems because they aren't covered very well in the computer science department. Instead, they can write about a hundred different searching/sorting algorithms, build all sorts of data structures (although not quite understand what's going on behind the scenes), understand neural networks and a bunch of topics that are a little too abstract for me.

I only delve into game programming as a hobby, but my two cents are that if you want to get into the industry, you need exposure to both sides.
Quote: Original post by Vento
I don't want to study a course that wouldn't give me too much usage. Unless it would be super-useful for my programming experience.

Stop limiting your life and wasting your time and energy by worrying about what you DON'T want. As we've told other posters recently, any degree program you take will include required courses that you THINK you don't need or want, but will be useful for your life.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement