🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Full Sail?

Started by
14 comments, last by XandX2005 14 years, 2 months ago
I am a current student at full sail.
I do not actually know how the industry will actually be after school, but i find that this school works perfectly for me.

Its more of a mind thing than anything else. Everything they teach you (even in English classes and math classes) is geared specifically for game development. There aren't any fluff classes that when i went to normal college i couldn't stand to even sit in.

For me i had decided game development was something i really wanted to do after a lot of research and full sail allows my mind to stay interested and the school forces you to actually attend every class at a very fast pace.

In my opinion I'd say its something you have to really research and decide which experience is better for you.
Advertisement
Personally I'm dubious of the implication that everything has to be "geared towards game development". I feel that the people who take that course are fundamentally locking themselves into a path of repeating what came before. Yes there are exceptions (the Portal group seems like the best example), but the simple truth is that those are people who would excel anywhere.

But it always struck me as incredibly pompous to proclaim some part of your education not relevant to your career that you know nothing about.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Here is my 2 cents, you may goto a gaming school, but what if you don't get a chance to work for a gaming company, you don't have a well rounded degree and hence your degree isn't going to help you much since you are probably not going to take any kind of business classes and speech, things that jobs will want you to have if you were to want to take the step up into management or something that isn't about game development. I myself find that I am almost done with college with my major geared towards programming, but now I am moving where I might not have the chance to get a programming job due to limited opportunities... well I can tell you this it was a good thing my school is accredited and I have taken speech, math, writing, research, etc... You get the point I am sure! But then again I just might get the job I want there, if they are taking on newly graduated programmers.

Things I would think you would want to find out about these schools,
Accredited: ?
Well-Rounded degree: ? //Always need a contingency plan!
Full sail is now an accredited university and gives you a bachelors degree instead of an associates degree. which of course was my main reason to even consider attending.
I used to feel pretty strongly that Full Sail was a second-rate citizen to University. With that said, I think the perception in general is changing. I've met people who attended Full Sail and now work in the industry so I know you can get a job that way.

The biggest benefit I see is that Full Sail offers a course that pretty much guarantees you have a portfolio worth showcasing at the end of your schooling. Traditional University really doesn't encourage this explicitly as I find most courses allow you to focus on smaller projects which may not be showcase-able outside of your studies, and many of the courses I took frowned on doing game related tasks.

At the end of the day you have to make a decision based on your actual career goals. Personally I figure university doesn't really matter, it's what you can do (and demonstrate that you can do) that counts. A strong portfolio, good networking ability, and industry experience is worth more than a degree when applying for work.

Are you getting a degree to help you get a job, or because you want to learn something and achieve self-actualization? This is a trick question because university will achieve neither of these things (at least not directly because of the courses you take.) University for me was a time during which I didn't have to be held accountable for moving on with my life. This was very valuable in allowing me to build personal relationships, become a better programmer, learn that the world is a bigger place than my parents basement, take advantage of the co-op program to wrangle a job at Black Box, and to realize how little I really know about anything and how little other people know as well. It's really an opportunity to see adults as people instead of authority figures, and a chance to grow up.

Overall, university isn't about the classes, it's really what you make it out to be. The goal shouldn't be the degree, and it shouldn't be to get a job, or to really get a lot out of your classes. It should be to get a lot out of yourself. This isn't how I went into it, this is really a retrospective feeling.

[Edited by - M2tM on May 2, 2010 3:26:10 AM]
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote: Original post by ultihero
Full sail is now an accredited university and gives you a bachelors degree instead of an associates degree. which of course was my main reason to even consider attending.

You're right, it is accredited. But it's not regionally accredited so any classes you take there won't transfer to a traditional community or 4-year college.

I'm attending full sail for the online Game Design Bachelors. I would recommend that you do your own projects out of class as well. If you want a good job once you're done, you NEED experience.

Start learning to model, program, design levels, texturing, etc.. All this will pay off in the long run. There is plenty of free software out there to get you some pretty good experience.

Take this time to get yourself under control, work hard and get creative. You will learn alot on your own. And most importantly Have Fun man!!! You're making video games bro!!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement