🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

CS/ Game Development Schools

Started by
3 comments, last by TheRealDeal 14 years, 3 months ago
Ok I have been looking at a couple of Colleges, Full Sail was what I was mostly looking into however after reading multiple complaints on the school I have been turning away from that decision, so my brother-in-law found that UCF has a masters degree in game development I was looking for any input on these two schools and recommendations for other schools in Florida, Tech schools or Universities. I am currently a senior in high school, and I will be attending a community college to get basics down and transfer to UCF (or any other school) and finish the BS degree then continue onto the masters that is my current plan. Im looking for any input at all. I greatly appreciate any and all responses sorry for it being long but I am trying to decide on a pretty big choice
Advertisement
Link and link. Happy reading^^.
---------------------------Visit my Blog at http://robwalkerdme.blogspot.com
So basically I would be better off sticking to my plan, It would cost me less money and I would have a Masters degree also
Quote: Original post by bigwall70
So basically I would be better off sticking to my plan, It would cost me less money and I would have a Masters degree also

If you still have a question, View Forum FAQ (above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I'm going to put my vote in for a University on this one. I spent a good month or two on the fence when it came to Full Sail/Digipen or going to a University (Such as UW Seattle, UM Twin Cities, or Iowa State, all of which have great CS programs). I thought it would be great going to a game specific school, fast track my way into the industry, do what I THINK I want to do. In the end I (with talk on here, my school advisor, and parents) decided to head towards University lane, Iowa State to be specific, why? Because I'll have more security in my choices.

Right now I'm realizing how much work a game or simple mod can truly be, and can see how quickly I could have burned out at Full Sail or Digipen. Along with that, I would have completely missed the opportunity to further myself in math (as most Univ's will require you to head into/past calculus) and even find a minor that interests me and gives me even more options after college if game design/programming doesn't work out (Meteorology).

Overall I think you will be MUCH more pleased with yourself in choosing a University over such a specific school. What if you burn out or even lose a job later on? You're skill set is going to be significantly limited relative to the guy in the same situation who graduated at a University, and even more so if they double majored or minored. Hope this helps mate, but remember that its just an opinion! I've heard people who have loved every minute at Digipen (no one I know when to Full Sail) and wouldn't regret it.

Justin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement