🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help for my cover letter and to find a training D

Started by
3 comments, last by Obscure 14 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I'm a french student at ENJMIN, a video games' school in France. I'm looking for a training during this summer (july up to september). Three months is quite short and I ask you if it possible to find a training as a Gameplay programmer, games in 3D on PC or consoles, not internet games ! I'm looking for only in UK for this year. You can look at my web site : http://faurekevin.free.fr/home.html I've begun my cover letter. I copy it here, if some generous people could correct it or give me some advices. "Dear Sir or Madam, Re: Summer work placement application I am writing to ask whether you have vacancies within your Programming Department during the months of July, August and September 2010 as a Gameplay programmer. I am currently a student at ENJMIN (National School of Games and Interactive Medias) in France, for a Master’s Degree in Programming and I am looking for a summer work placement. My past experiences as a trainee have given me the skills to fit quickly in any new environment and to be able to work as a team member. Furthermore, my educational background has trained me to a wide range of expertises on game development, especially in 3D. My knowledge in this field allow me to have good experience with API 3D (DirectX and OpenGL), a good understanding and use of game engine, and strong maths skills. I discovered your company and your games on your web site, given by my school. (Develop the pros, the innovations of their games, etc…) Therefore, I am strongly motivated to learn and participate in the development of such games. I am sure that my sense of service and my relational skills will make this experience both profitable for your company and me. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss my application at interview. I look forward to hearing from you. Yours sincerely " Sorry for the mistakes, and this will be a good reason to improve my poor english.... Thanks in advance !
Advertisement
1. You have left it very late to be applying for this summer. Internships at games companies are highly sought after so you need to apply well in advance. You may find it is already too late.
2. You shouldn't write to ask this question you should use the phone. It is quicker and it is harder for them to ignore*. When you phone you should ask if they have internships and then ask who deals with them. Get their name and then send your application letter/resume addressed to that person by name.

* It is easier for them to just answer your question immediately on the phone. If you write then they need to write back (either by post of email). Given that they almost certainly have more applicants than positions there is no reason for them to go to the bother of writing back.

[Edited by - Obscure on March 29, 2010 8:42:58 PM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Damn it ... Do you have some links to give me, web site which enumerate video games companies in england, and why not list of internship available ? (Like afjv.fr in France).

List of companies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_companies

You'll need to scan through that yourself and find which developers are in England, then go to their website and try to find a phone number or information about internships.

Not all game companies have summer internships and applications (like university applications) are usually due by January 1st of the summer for which you are applying. So if you wanted this summer, likely you would have had to apply by January 1st, 2010. I would search anyway because you've nothing to lose.

-me
See also Gamedevmap.com
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement