🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinions on Digipen and USC

Started by
8 comments, last by Greek89 14 years, 2 months ago
Hello Everyone, I am currently attending Community College while researching Universities to pursue an education in Game Design and Development. I am seeking for, and aware of the necessity to have a well rounded education rather then a more vocational oriented experience. But I did want to take a look at all my opportunities, so I have taken time to research many Game Design Specific schools, and I would have to say a majority of them seemed questionable in either quality, depth, or maturity. NOTE - Majority of my decision making is based off my interest in the Arts aspect of Design/development rather then Computer Science to become a full time coder. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Out of all my research I came down to Comparing two schools + Programs, Digipen (Although more Game Design Specific) and University of Southern California. - Digipen (Bachelor of Arts in Game Design) Link : https://www.digipen.edu/prospective-students/academics/degree-programs/ba-game-design/ and - University of Southern California: Interactive Media Program ( Bachelor of arts + Minor in Game design) Link: (BA)"http://interactive.usc.edu/about/bachelor/" (MGD)"http://interactive.usc.edu/about/minor/" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Overall I wanted to see what the forum members opinions on these two programs are and if anyone knows of any schools/programs that seem worthwhile please do not hesitate to educate me on them. I look forward to anyone's helpful replies.
Advertisement
My opinion is that they are both very expensive.
actually ive my my research about wht employers are looking and what they suggest is:

First go to a 4-year university and get general knowledge...even the ones that have nothing to do with games...Employers want to see a person that has wide knowledge and is open to any kind like biology, chemistry, history.

After getting the degree from a regular university (they suggest) then go to a specialized gaming school (thats what emplyers actually said)..BUT the employers want to see their candidates to have an expanded knowledge.. and not only in gaming..

Also another BIG plus is to build a portfolio of games made by your own and NOT with a team!
peter_jim89@hotmail.com
Quote: Original post by way2lazy2care

Please tell me I am reading this wrong. Is 12 credit hours at USC Interactive Media Program really $15,600, for a single semester, for residents?

Full time tuition is $2,155 at my state university, and $2,445 at the University of Utah (which is fairly well respected nationally). A 2-year program at a the community college is even less.

Even if you go with the non-resident rates of $5,950 and $7,687, that's still tiny in comparison.

If that really is what USC charges, it must be a university for those with money to burn.
Quote: Original post by frob

Please tell me I am reading this wrong. Is 12 credit hours at USC Interactive Media Program really $15,600, for a single semester, for residents?

Full time tuition is $2,155 at my state university, and $2,445 at the University of Utah (which is fairly well respected nationally). A 2-year program at a the community college is even less.

Even if you go with the non-resident rates of $5,950 and $7,687, that's still tiny in comparison.

If that really is what USC charges, it must be a university for those with money to burn.

it is sooo true!!! one friend of mine went to this school for optometry and guess how much he pays per year:...... $55,000!!!!!

There are the State Universities, the (relatively) cheapest..Then the Privates, the most expensive of all

[Edited by - Greek89 on April 5, 2010 2:13:34 AM]
peter_jim89@hotmail.com
Quote: Original post by Greek89
Also another BIG plus is to build a portfolio of games made by your own and NOT with a team!

I've heard the opposite. A lot of the people I've talked to want you to have experience in teams, but they want to know very specifically what you did on the project. That way you can demonstrate both your skills as well as demonstrating that you work well in teams.
Quote: Original post by Greek89

I've heard the opposite. A lot of the people I've talked to want you to have experience in teams, but they want to know very specifically what you did on the project. That way you can demonstrate both your skills as well as demonstrating that you work well in teams.

I got that quote from a little handbook called "VIDEO GAME CAREERS: OVER 100 pros INTERVIEWED"..you can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Careers-Prima-Official-Guides/dp/0761557059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270448775&sr=8-1-spell

..It was actually a guy from a Game development company who was saying about what he looks in a candidate. By making a portfolio on your own shows to the employer that you have a deep knowledge of the gaming development process BY YOUR OWN. Ofcourse it would not hurt if you include in a portfolio a game project with a team but making something on your own is a BIG PLUS
peter_jim89@hotmail.com
Just to inform you, this is only the second year of DigiPen's design degree. So you're not going to find any job placement rates, or graduates to talk to. In fact, the first students who will graduate in those degrees are transfers from the art and programming programs. The first students who will go through the entire degree program won't graduate until 2012.
-- gekko
Thanks for the opinions everyone, does anyone happen to have any knowledge about USC?
Quote: Original post by Jman522
Thanks for the opinions everyone, does anyone happen to have any knowledge about USC?

All i know from frineds who attended there is that it is pretty expensive but one of the highest rated Private schools in California.
peter_jim89@hotmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement