🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

combination of IT + econ of any use in game dev?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 2 months ago
Hello there, at the moment I'm studying for a computer science bachelor and am also doing a bachelor in econ/business administration. I'm not really sure if this econ-bachelor is of any use in game-dev. The big companies are not really interested in any skillsets that diverge from the requirements of the position you are applying to. So applying for the job of a programmer would render the econ-bachelor useless and vice versa. An indie-company could make use of business knowledge. Unfortunately the big universities primarily talk about mid-size corporations which makes everything I learn here a lot less applicable to the smaller companies. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this as I really don't know where to go with this skillset in the game-dev sector. Happy holiday!
Advertisement
I would say good
Even if you don't need the econ/business experience/knowledge right away it will always come in handy if you start your own game company or get promoted to producer or director of something that requires some business knowledge
Quote: Original post by Happy Student
I'm not really sure if this econ-bachelor is of any use in game-dev.

Don't think of it that way. The degree you are taking is of use in your LIFE. It is not at all unusual for people to study one subject in school, then choose a different path in life. That does not mean that the study subject was "of no use" or a "waste of time." You are learning a lot in your studies, and you will find many times in your life when what you learned will prove useful in one way or another. Nobody else cares what you studied in school. They only care that you can contribute meaningfully, do your job well, and fit into the team.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement