🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cover Letter/CV ideas

Started by
3 comments, last by Obscure 14 years, 2 months ago
I've been through a couple of the other CV/Resume threads but my questions are a little bit different. I've always wanted to get into the industry, but obviously that's no easy task. I was working an internship while in school, which lead to a full-time position, but required me to leave school early. Meaning I didn't finish my degree in CS. Now, there are a few places near me that are hiring "all levels" of positions so I figured I would apply since my current contract is almost up. Where I'm stuck right now is how to tailor a CV and resume to a different niche of the industry than I currently have experience in. I have 2+ years working with Windows-based (mostly .NET) and web-based development. That includes SQL. I've done little games here and there trying to teach myself, but ultimately not something that anywhere near polished. I like to think myself very bright - I pick stuff up very easily but I worry that those reading my application will see there being too big of a gap between my current experience and what is needed in a game development company. Any thoughts or experiences?
Advertisement
I've found that while game development isn't too particular about degrees, they are very intent on hiring people who are ready to hit the ground running. "I pick stuff up very easily" doesn't cut it, everybody says that. You need to demonstrate real, relevant experience -- that means a C++ based game demo in nearly all cases, and a working knowledge of whatever branch of games you're aiming for (AI, graphics, etc).

Without a fairly solid demo? Good luck, and be prepared to prove that you really know what you're doing when it comes to game development. The industry is not hurting for skilled developers right now.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by Antiokus
I worry that those reading my application will see there being too big of a gap between my current experience and what is needed

Probably because there is. You may not be ready.
http://www.igda.org/games-game <- You should read.
You can still go ahead and submit your application, though.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Any thoughts or experiences?

You may not be a perfect fit, but still apply if you reasonably think you could do the job. If you know you will be wasting time then don't do it, but if you think you can, you should apply.

The worst that will happen is your application is ignored, which happens to the vast majority of all applications. There is no shame in being a person not hired. You won't get on a black-list or have other negative consequences. All it means is that the company found someone else who seems to be a better match. It does not reflect on your skills or abilities.

The best that can happen is that you get the job. Since that is what you are looking for, go for it.
....which lead to a full-time position, but required me to leave school early. Meaning I didn't finish my degree in CS.

If there is any way you can go back and finish your degree I would. Not just because it will improve your employment potential but also because it will be be good for you/your life in general to finish something that important. The longer you wait the harder it will be to go back to school.

Quote: I've done little games here and there trying to teach myself, but ultimately not something that anywhere near polished.

Hmmm a slight worry that a pattern is emerging. More unfinished business. being able to finish a project is a vital attribute for developers - having the motivation to do it without the boss standing over you is a plus also.

Quote: I pick stuff up very easily....

Unfortunately people won't hire you on the promise that you will pick stuff up later. You need to show that you can contribute now. A degree would help to show that but if you can't go back to school you will definitely need a good portfolio - that means those unfinished/unpolished projects need to be finished and polished.

Good luck.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement