🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hi, Gaming Artist

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 2 months ago
Hi, my name is Nick. The Game Industry can be very difficult to get into these days. The key to making it is attaining a diverse background in gaming knowledge, and understanding various software packages. Programs such as Maya, Photoshop, and 3dsMax are at the helm of the industry and are great to know for developing a portfolio or getting further into your business or hobby. In succeeding as a digital artist it’s vital to broaden your knowledge in regards to traditional skill, technology, and creativity. I hope to be of help to others in understanding digital art and the game industry. Thanks for having me here, :) Nick B.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by nicknite86
The key to making it is attaining a diverse background in gaming knowledge, and understanding various software packages.

Actually the key to making it is to have artistic ability as a result of natural talent and/or lots of practice. Learning software is pointless unless you have ability.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Well, if you understand the software, its probably from practice right? I mean, it's hard to say you understand a software without practicing it's usage. Unless you're prematurely saying you understood the software I guess.
Quote: Original post by Obscure
Actually the key to making it is to have artistic ability as a result of natural talent and/or lots of practice. Learning software is pointless unless you have ability.
...and having artistic ability is useless unless you learn the software.
Quote: Original post by Hodgman

LOL try telling that to Damien Hurst, Tracey Emin, Banksy, Anthony Gormley and many others. I have never met an artist who couldn't learn to operate a computer/art package. I have met many "computer artists" who could operate the software but were unable to create anything of value.

Quote: Original post by pothb
Well, if you understand the software, its probably from practice right?

I wasn't referring to practice at using software, I was referring to practicing artistic techniques. In fact my point was that practice with software is pointless unless you have artistic ability (gained through natural talent and/or practice learning artistic techniques). Over the years I have seen many, many "computer artists" who are able to operate software art packages but unable to produce anything of any use because they didn't understand light, colour, animation etc. Conversely I have met and hired numerous artists and animators who have no experience using computers but do have proven artistic ability. I have never had one of them fail to quickly learn the necessary software and to quickly become excellent computer artists.

A computer+software is a tool, like paint and paper, pens, a chisel and stone/wood or a furnace for melting bronze. Being able to pick up a brush and spread paint on a canvas won't create anything meaningful unless I have an artistic vision of what I want to create and an understanding of how/why light, colour etc work.

Yes, even if you have artistic talent you do still need to master the tools you want to use, be those paint, ink, computer pixels or elephant dung. However those tools are useless in the hands of someone without artistic vision or understanding.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I have to agree with Mr. Marchant. I'm new to this website and currently am a college student in a game design program at my university. I am in school with many talented people, whether it be artistic talent or computer skills.
I will agree with Marchant in the fact that the people in my classes who are more the "artists" are much more talented and create much better visuals than those with the computer skills.
I'm an artist and I consider myself to be pretty creative and good at what I do. I didnt know anything about the programs 2 years ago, but I learned and now I can create awesome stuff. The people who started out with the program knowledge but lacked the creative side are still doing the same things they were 2 years ago. Pretty much useless junk that isnt going to get them anywhere. Just my opinions though
Quote: Original post by Obscure
Quote: Original post by Hodgman
LOL try telling that to Damien Hurst, Tracey Emin, Banksy, Anthony Gormley and many others.
LOLWUTFBBQ those people aren't in the industry.
You need *both* talent in art and knowledge of the tools, plus you actually have to want/try to be in the industry to get into the industry.
Nick's posts have been found to be copy/paste jobs, and he's been banned.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement