🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Soon to be Physics Graduate

Started by
1 comment, last by yaustar 14 years, 2 months ago
So I am a soon to be physics graduate from Oxford and I am confident in my maths and physics ability. I have had an interest in computer game programming for a good few years but I was never encouraged and so only recently have I come to consider it as serious career direction. I would like advice on how I would persue such a career as I currently have little knowledge of the field. I have ability in C programming from a mathematical side (using it to calculate difficult integrals, plotting trajectories, iteration techniques) which only required a basic knowledge of C but realised how small my C knowledge was when I looked into game programming in windows (the for dummies book). I would like to know peoples oppinions on post graduate courses (Hull University does a game oriented course that I am looking into) and how best to enter the industry from my current position. What are the better choices of courses as although I am happy to self teach myself, having a structured course seems important to learning thoroughly and in a way that will benefit a team/not leave holes in my knowledge. I also considered a masters Comp Sci course (at liverpool) but feel a 1 year comp sci course may not be enough specific knowledge. If anybody was in a situation similar to mine before getting into game developement, I am interested to hear from you. If I have left out anything important, please ask. Antony.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Tony Pro
1. I would like to know peoples oppinions on post graduate courses
2. and how best to enter the industry from my current position.
3. What are the better choices of courses

1. I think they're good. But YOUR opinion is the one that really matters. If you want to, and can, then go for it.
2. For starters, "View Forum FAQ" (above).
3. "Better" is subjective. YOU are the only one who can say what's "better" for you. It's not so important what's on the CV as it is what you learn, and how you leverage what you learn.

[Edited by - Tom Sloper on April 17, 2010 10:00:47 PM]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I find Windows programming a nightmare. It isn't so much about your knowledge of the language but of the library that is making you feel bad.

I did the (Hull) MSc mainly because I knew I had huge gaps in the my knowledge after I did my BSc (as shown by my poor interviews at the time) rather then for the idea of completing an MSc in itself.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement