🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Career issue

Started by
5 comments, last by Atrix256 14 years, 2 months ago
Posting here about my career problems again, great. However, this time the problem is different. Long story short, I do a lot of different things art-wise, so I don't know what career I want to pursue. However, I do know that I want to work on independent projects on the side, since I already have the skills necessary to make something on my own, whether it be a game, short film, web series, or whatever, all I need is the time. Of course, that's not a career, so I still need a job. Unfortunately, most jobs in the the game development and animation industries take up all you're time. You have to devote yourself to developing a single skill to get anywhere worthwhile, and even once you get there, chances are you'll be working around the clock. In other words, you get one of these jobs because it's what you enjoy, since it doesn't generally pay that will. I want to work on indie projects, all I need is the time, and financial stability. So is it really worth getting a job in the art industry at all if it isn't going to pay well or take me anywhere to begin with?
Advertisement
That depends on you -- but I know plenty of people really lose their passion for a hobby once it becomes their job.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by Kiiryu
Unfortunately, most jobs in the the game development and animation industries take up all you're time.

Um...that's not just games, mate. Any 40 hour job is "most of your time". That's 8 hours a day 5-days a week no matter in what field your career is. That's the system we live in. Games have periods of time where it's more than 40, but honestly so do most "career"-type jobs (versus walmart jobs). Games can be a little more for sure, and certainly during crunch are much more. But you're going to have the "time" problem no matter what job you take. Working hard to establish work/life balance is not restricted to the games industry.

Anyway, there are various reasons people take jobs. (1) $$ (2) traditional jobs take up the majority of your waking hours so it would ideally be something you love. For some people (1) is more important than (2) and for others vice versa. The specific question you seem to be asking sounds like it entirely based on your own subjective balance of those motivations. "Is is worth it" isn't a question anyone else can really answer.

For me, personally, I love and am obsessed with games and make it my career for that reason. I've had non-game jobs and they make me feel like I'm dying of boredom. I manage to find plenty of time to work on indy games outside of work and am lucky to work somewhere where that is allowed. Something that you should weigh in your decision is that there are very few game companies for which you can work who's contracts will allow you to release "competitive products". That is to say that you can't work for EA and simultaneously make iPhone games and sell them on the side. That's prohibited by your contract's non-compete clause. Whether or not you can work on for-public-release hobby games would be something you'd really want to ask during your interview process. Whether or not you can find the energy to come home after making games all day and continue to work on your own games is a personal matter you'll need to explore; sometimes I find that impossible.

So basically the question you need to ask yourself is: do you want to work in the games industry and have your career be games, or can you make $$ some other way and spend your free time making games? That's basically 100% personal preference.

-me
Quote: 1. I don't know what career I want to pursue.
2. all I need is the time... I still need a job... Unfortunately, most jobs... take up all you're [sic] time.
3. is it really worth...

1. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
2. Yeah, well, thats [sic] life.
3. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/route66.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well, I have no idea anymore.

Anyhow, thank you for you're responses.

If you can get into the industry, get in. You will learn a lot about making games in general. It's also a great place to meet people with the same passion for indie games that you have. Might even make some friends who want to work on indie games with you.

You'll never have enough time or be financial stable enough to do indie games. You just have to do it. It's like having a baby. Your never ready, but when it happens you work things out.

-)------ Ed
Yeah, what sigma said.

Indie game developers don;t magically have more time than the rest of us. They aren't all living off of trust fund money making games all day cause they can...

They just make the time and make it happen, but sacrifice other parts of their lives in the process sometimes hehe.

make time for what's important to you! If you find that you can't make time, maybe it really isn't so high on your list of priorities? :P

"Just Do It"

"Winners Make The Time"

"Massive action is the key to success"

etc (:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement