🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to prepare for E3

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I was searching information around on Tom Sloper site for example to know a bit more about the E3, but I still have some questions. I want to know how to get the most out of it. So I 'll tell you about us so you know a little bit the context. -We are a MOBILE PHONE game studio (Iphone and ipod touch off course, maemo, android, etc... we plan to get our games on the DS/PSP in few years) -Our studio is relatively new, around one year old, so it will be our first game industry conference. -We have enough money to send 5 employees at least, I think more would be a throw of money (we got our free industry pass, but the planes tickets, rooms and cars location aren't free at all) -We don't have a big game portfolio, we pass most of last year trying to secure the money and working on management/preparation stuff (business plan, stuff like that). We recently (2 or 3 month ago) hired programmers and artists. We are now getting technical stuff done, have a couple of technical demo/prototype and are currently polishing two of those (one for the end of may, just in time for the E3, another around june or july). So short story, relatively new studio, but with money and technical knowledge. No games out their, but a couple are coming really soon. So for the E3 thing now, We want to know more about those conferences, see how it works. If we should buy exhibit space for next year (we should have a couple of games then :-P) and slowly star to push our name. I don't know if it's the right place for this, I mean it's supposed to be a press/buyer conference, but should we get some t-shirt and stickers to pass them around. Also, would the other studios look at us weird if we come to their exhibition space wearing t-shirt of another studios or is it normal thing there? Our first objective is to get an idea by ourselves for next year, but if we could pass the word around that we are out there and maybe get some contacts it would be great. So any suggestion on how to get the most of it ? And for the t-shirt thing, do we wear them with pride or hide it :-P I don't think it's that bad, but pardon me if my english is a bit rough by time.
Advertisement
Hello Joe, you asked:

> If we should buy exhibit space for next year (we should have a couple of games then :-P)

No. Since you are not sure, you should not.

>and slowly star to push our name.

Yes. You should do that.

>I don't know if it's the right place for this

No. E3 isn't right for you until you're sure. Everybody is trying to do everything, so nobody gets noticed for nothing.

>I mean it's supposed to be a press/buyer conference, but should we get some t-shirt and stickers to pass them around.

Sure.

>Also, would the other studios look at us weird if we come to their exhibition space wearing t-shirt of another studios or is it normal thing there?
> do we wear them with pride or hide it :-P

Normal thing. TOTALLY normal. Pride. Don't hide.

>So any suggestion on how to get the most of it ?

Take LOTS of business cards. So you can GET lots of business cards. And keep the E3 directory! Bring home a lot of fliers and brochures from E3. And while you're there, keep the parties to just a few. You'll get sick if you party all night and network all day.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper

Take LOTS of business cards. So you can GET lots of business cards. And keep the E3 directory! Bring home a lot of fliers and brochures from E3. And while you're there, keep the parties to just a few. You'll get sick if you party all night and network all day.

I am curious about the use of Business cards in networking and marketing in the gaming industry. They have been a standard for networking and information exchange for quite some time. Though I was wondering with the rise of various smart phones and mobile electronic devices if cards were still in vogue.

---
Andrew E. Harasty
Head Geek of The YAR Project
http://yar-project.blogger.com
Quote: Original post by Gustavef
I was wondering with the rise of various smart phones and mobile electronic devices if cards were still in vogue.

Everybody still uses them. Remember -- your goal is not to give out YOUR cards. The goal is to get THEIRS. The way you get theirs is to give them yours.

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
I was wondering with the rise of various smart phones and mobile electronic devices if cards were still in vogue.

Everybody still uses them. Remember -- your goal is not to give out YOUR cards. The goal is to get THEIRS. The way you get theirs is to give them yours.

That is good to know. I will have to put that in to my budget before my first conference.

Now, the bigger issue: What do you do after you collect their business cards?

I don't expect that all the cards will be useful, but there should be a handful that I would like to keep in touch with. My personal goal is to establish long term contacts that can help lead me to new opportunities.

One option is the "How is going?" message. Ask them how their current project is and share with them the status of yours.

Then there is the "politely asking for advice." Ideally a specific question for comments on a particular issue. Even better if it is in their specialty.

Now, until a real rapport is established, I would not expect any response. But what are some do's and don't's of talking to game industry folk after the conference is over?

(BTW, I am only part way though all the Games Game postings and I have not found this topic covered, so if it has post the link.)

Thanks

1. What do you do after you collect their business cards?
2. establish long term contacts that can help lead me to new opportunities.
3. One option is the "How is going?" message. Ask them how their current project is and share with them the status of yours.
4. Then there is the "politely asking for advice." Ideally a specific question for comments on a particular issue. Even better if it is in their specialty.
5. Now, until a real rapport is established, I would not expect any response.
6. what are some do's and don't's of talking to game industry folk after the conference is over?

1. If you don't have a substantive reason to contact them -- nothing. File the info away for future reference. See if you can follow the person on Facebook or Twitter or something.
2. Yes.
3. Wouldn't do that.
4. Only if you are really in need of advice that you think that person is in a position to give.
5. Right.
6. a. Don't stalk.
b. Don't pester.
c. Don't prattle on.
d. Contact them only when you have some substantive reason to do so.
e. Read my articles on networking. On IGDA.org, click Columns. Click The Games Game. Click Archives. Find the GDC articles. On Sloperama.com, click the yellow box. Scroll down and find the article entitled "Networking." There might be a link to it in the FAQ (above).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement