🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Beginers question

Started by
2 comments, last by stevelevesque 22 years, 10 months ago
I have just started to learn C++ so i am reading books that gives examples to help me get good. I am readng Introduction to Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 by Ivor Horton. In one of the first examples he explains how to make crossword puzzles. While half way through i built the project and 5 errors showed up. When i clicked to see what the errors are a header file i never seen before poped up. The file is really long and i dont know where it came from. If there is any way somebody can help me that would be great. Steve
~When The Only Thing You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Looks Like A Nail.www.instinctz.net
Advertisement
It means that you typed something in incorrectly, or there''s a typo in the book (which happens alot).

When you make a windows program you have to include a whole bunch of code written by Microsoft, that header is some of that code.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
You might want to start with compiling a hello world program.

here is the code

#include<iostream>using namespace std;void main(){  cout << "Hello";}  
quote: Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
...program you have to include a whole bunch of code...that header is some of that code.

To elaborate on this statement sometimes when you include files and then you use these identifiers in your code but use them incorrectly, VC++ will give you an error response when compiling. Some of these messages are along the lines of "...error using blah. See definition of blah" and when you click on that it takes you to the definition. It is important to understand that there is nothing wrong with that portion of the code, but rather the way you are trying to use it in your code.

I''m not saying that there isn''t bugs even with the code that ships with VC (or any other compiler ) but you''re better off not changing any other source code that came with your compiler, libraries, etc unless you really know what you are doing. At the very least make a copy of the file before your change it. On the other side of that coin, it''s a real good way to learn.

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement