🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So many ideas but not the knowledge

Started by
4 comments, last by szecs 13 years, 12 months ago
Hello everyone,

My name is ***** or just BierbyteZ ;)

Im 20 Years old and from germany, im making a apprenticeship as an software developer. My knowledge about programming is already pretty good. I can build software for managing databases or managing resources (Im working at an online shop). Now my passion for video games has awoken and i startet to think about gamedesign. I already have ideas for 3 Games inclusive concept arts, game modes etc.

But now i have the problem that i dont know what to do . I have all those great ideas, pictures how the game looks like in my mind but i cant really make my dreams come true yet. I have knowledge with C#, Java, C++, C but i cant really imagine how a game is designed. I dont need books about languages, what i am searching for are algorithms for game programming / graphics programming.

Im searching for your opinions and your help.
I hope you can tell me what i should do now and tell me about intresting books.

Greetings BierbyteZ
[size="2"]Java / C# Developer
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by BierbyteZ
I already have ideas for 3 Games inclusive concept arts, game modes etc.
I have all those great ideas, pictures how the game looks like in my mind but i cant really make my dreams come true yet.
I dont need books about languages, what i am searching for are algorithms for game programming / graphics programming.

The question is, what will you do with your games once you've made them? If you want to use them as portfolio pieces so you can get a job in the game industry, that's great -- but what job do you want to have in the game industry? Programmer? Game Designer? Level Designer?
If you want to self-publish your games, then what you need to do is educate yourself about business and marketing. So you don't necessarily need books or a tutorial about making games, you may need much more education than that (depending on what it is you want to do with your games once you've made them).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I want to break into the game industry as Game Programmer or Game Designer.
Yes i want to use the games for my portfolio and im not intrested in selling them because these are one man projects.

I am searching for techniques of game programming.
In 2 years I want to apply at a game development school but the requirments are demos of your own game inclusive a documentary of the development.
[size="2"]Java / C# Developer

First you should decide if you want to be a game programmer or a game designer, because making a game with incredible effects and fun game play in just two years would be quite a challange.

When you want to be a graphics programmer, you should take a look at this book, a quite complete overview of current rendering techniques. As graphics programmer a nice demo(not game!) in your portfolio would always help. I think art is less important, but nice effects are a must have. What school do you want to visit ? Take a look of what graphics API they are teaching (OpenGL or DirectX) and try to make a demo with this API.

When you want to become a game designer, you should concentrate on other topics. A good game design document and a working game would be a good start. As game you don't need a technically superb game with amazing art, a 2d game which demonstrate fun gameplay would be more promising.

Yes i want to use the games for my portfolio

Moving to Breaking In, then.
View Forum FAQ (above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You say that you are pretty good at programming.
Games ARE programs. How did you make programs before? What's the difference? The only difference I see between games and other programs, is that games use more art/meshes/sound etc. Do you have problems with this part? If so, you can find free modeller and drawing programs in the FAQ or on the Beginners board.

And an important thing: start small (that's another difference: games are usually bigger projects than other programs). If you have never made games, it's likely that you will be paralysed by the size of the task. You need experience with dividing the task. you can gain it with smaller programs.

(My first game was quite a big project (Scorched Earth clone with AI/GUI/weapons/collapsing ground/ingame console/some other stuff), but I'm pretty talented in dividing the problem, so I could start coding with almost no knowledge (3 months of almost worthless C studies)).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement