🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do I get an Internship?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 11 months ago
I'm looking to get into the Game Industry as a Level Designer. I do not know any programming language, I'm starting this fall as a dual major: 1. Computer Science 2. Art

I am learning how to use Unreal Editor and Blender, I really don't know what industry standards are for what programs as a Level Designer I should learn.
Advertisement
Unfortunately, there are very few game companies that offer internship positions. You are somewhat better off looking into the modding community to build up your portfolio during college. There are many more programming specific job sites that do however offer internships. There is also the option of, later in your schooling, being a TA for the lower level undergrad classes.

Quote:
I am learning how to use Unreal Editor and Blender, I really don't know what industry standards are for what programs as a Level Designer I should learn.

There really isn't one standard. Some of your engine choices are Unreal engine, Unity, Quake engine, Ogre, Torque. Some of the software choices are Blender, Maya, 3DSudio Max, Photoshop, Gimp, Visual Studio, Code Warrior, etc. Each studio will have its own set of software they use, but many of the application domains have very similar software (Maya and Blender do mostly the same stuff, just with different menus and hotkeys). Each studio will also have its own game engine. Sometimes these are based off a modified Unreal engine, and sometimes they are done all in house. The key thing is learning how to interact with the different parts of the engine, as many of them will have similar feature sets.
Start asking around. Send prospective applications, email companies and ask. I know that even though they may not be advertised on their site, some companies do accept university students for a placement for a year or so.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
Quote: Original post by Paiyaku
a. How do I get an Internship?
b. I'm looking to get into the Game Industry as a Level Designer. I do not know any programming language, I'm starting this fall as a dual major: 1. Computer Science 2. Art
c. I am learning how to use Unreal Editor and Blender, I really don't know what industry standards are for what programs as a Level Designer I should learn.

a. The same way you get a job. By applying for it and being somebody the employer wants to bring into the team.
b. Okay. You're not ready for an internship yet.
c. You probably will know by the time you're ready. You should read the FAQs (click View Forum FAQ, above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement