🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting Game Design (art or literature based)

Started by
3 comments, last by Mark L 13 years, 11 months ago
Hello everyone,

I am currently 14yrs of age with basic web programming knowledge, when searching in the career of game design & development, I realized straight away the development area was not something I could learn as it requires advanced mathematics and programming, it has also given me a much wider praise for the programmers that try to produce games with their level of knowledge (inc. the poorly designed ones).

Because of this, I am trying to pursue the design aspect, either in the art or literature (storyline based) field.

I currently have no knowledge in art, not even photoshop for that matter.

The purpose of this thread is that I am requesting a compiled list of where to look for tutorials and/or books on the following programs that can start me off with no 2D or 3D knowledge to an advanced level:
*Autodesk 3DS Max Design
*Autodesk Mudbox
*Autodesk Motionbuilder
(all of which are 2011 versions)
I assume I should also start learning photoshop.

I have not yet come across a compiled list, nor has searching through Amazon done me any justice, I find mainly books that already assume you know how to get around the applications and know most of the basic features.

In 2012 I will be transferring to TAFE (which is similar to college, for where I live which is Australia) where I'll be going into IT. Between 2013-2014 I will be transferring to AIE (Academy of Interactive Entertainment - http://aie.edu.au) to apply for the game design area which uses 3DS Max & Mudbox. AIE is the only good place I can find for my area, otherwise I'm looking at a passport to travel & a place to rent within Florida for "Full Sail University" which I believe is more trouble than is worth, however they do look more confident through their overall website structure in what they can deliver.

One other thing that's been frustrating me is, what kind of mathematics does game art design require?

As you can probably observe from the above, my main career path I am pursuing here is the art design area. I assume the literature area would be more obvious, basically a fleshed out engaging storyline and I can probably find my own educational needs for this.

Thank you for taking your time to read this thread, I will be checking back regularly for any feedback.
Mark.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Mark L
1. I am trying to pursue the design aspect, either in the art or literature (storyline based) field.
2. The purpose of this thread is that I am requesting a compiled list of where to look for tutorials and/or books on the following programs that can start me off with no 2D or 3D knowledge to an advanced level:
*Autodesk 3DS Max Design
*Autodesk Mudbox
*Autodesk Motionbuilder

1. Those are not "design" -- those are "art and writing." We have separate forums for Visual Arts and Writing. Also, View Forum FAQ (click link above).
2. This is the primary request of your post, Mark. As such, this isn't a typical Breaking In post. I think you should ask this in Visual Arts. But for the moment, I'm not moving this thread. We'll see if you get information here.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
1. Those are not "design" -- those are "art and writing." We have separate forums for Visual Arts and Writing. Also, View Forum FAQ (click link above).
2. This is the primary request of your post, Mark. As such, this isn't a typical Breaking In post. I think you should ask this in Visual Arts. But for the moment, I'm not moving this thread. We'll see if you get information here.

Ah, sorry for not seeing the FAQ URL, Ctrl+F helped to find it through the top of the page.

If it doesn't get much attention here, I assume you'll move it later?

Also, does level design incorporate art design as well?

Thanks.

Edit:
Love your FAQs, Tom, keep it up =p

[Edited by - Mark L on July 13, 2010 10:29:17 AM]
Quote: Original post by Mark L
1. Ah, sorry for not seeing the FAQ URL, Ctrl+F helped to find it through the top of the page.
If it doesn't get much attention here, I assume you'll move it later?
2. Also, does level design incorporate art design as well?

1. I'm just a moderator, not a site designer or admin. The visibility of the FAQ link is something I can mention to those who are building the next rev, though.
2. Read the FAQ about Level Design. And BTW, we don't say "art design." Read the glossary FAQ.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
1. I'm just a moderator, not a site designer or admin. The visibility of the FAQ link is something I can mention to those who are building the next rev, though.
2. Read the FAQ about Level Design. And BTW, we don't say "art design." Read the glossary FAQ.

1. It might be possible to link directly to the FAQ page, from the sticky in the thread index, I was confused when I first read the sticky along with my poor eye sight at first. I was like "Tom's crazy! where's the FAQ url?".

2. Thanks for clearing that up, I've been lead to believe the whole terminology was "art design" or "game art design", along those lines, by the majority of sources I've read.

I'd feel ridiculous applying for a job or any area in the field without the correct knowledge.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement