🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Essays, Activities(school requirements)

Started by
4 comments, last by Obscure 13 years, 11 months ago
Hi,

I`ve almost made my choice for college,but something that caught my eye in the admission requirements was this sentence:

"Please use our form, not your resume, to list your activities. There is only enough space to list five things - please choose the five that mean the most to you and tell us a bit about them. "

To be honest,i have some programming background and some other rather small notable activities.Fortunately, i have some time till the moment that i should apply for a college( maybe 2 and half years.)

I wanted to know which activities are more important and significant in the admissions officers` eye.( in the process of qualifying a CS student.)

Of course,probably you`re not an admission officer,but i hope there is someone with a bit of experience in this matter.

tnx.
Advertisement
Quote: wanted to know which activities are more important and significant

... out of which pool of activities?
Activities that are related to programming and etc.

I think we can categorize the activities in three main groups:

1.academic 2.artistic 3.athletic

but only the first group is relevant to the forum,so i need your suggestions on academic pool.
Quote: Original post by kasra5004
I wanted to know which activities are more important and significant in the admissions officers` eye.( in the process of qualifying a CS student.)

You probably won't believe what I'm going to tell you. Don't bother arguing, okay?

Do those activities that YOU think you should do, and that you WANT to do, not whatever activities might make somebody else think better of you.
It's YOUR life, and you have to live it for YOU -- not for some unknown person.

Go to http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html and read FAQs 40, and 12. If you go on a space camp trip to the Jet Propulsion Lab, that's fine. If you program a database utility for the local comic book shop, that's fine. If you participate in a fundraising activity for Haiti, that's fine. It doesn't have to be related to computer science, see? It has to be something you think is worth your time.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Just do what the application told you to do. List the five activities that are most meaningful to you and explain why you chose them. That's what the admissions committee wants to see, because that's what they explicitly asked you to do. [smile] The admissions committee wants to see that you have passions and interests. This is part of how you show them you do.
Quote: Original post by kasra5004
"....please choose the five that mean the most to you and tell us a bit about them. "

If there was a list of things they were looking for everyone would be doing them and the process would become meaningless. They are not interested in what you do but how you do it. You are more likely to do well at something you are passionate about.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement