🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FIEA or Guildhall? HELP!

Started by
9 comments, last by IronCOOKARU 13 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by Ycoseth
Hey there-

I'm also a Producer at FIEA, here's my comments:

Yup! You're busy as all hell. Some producers have the art chops to do both, but if you came in with no artistic skill or experience with the tools, you aren't going to leave here a 3D modeler. If you came in with chops and utilize them on their games, you'll get better naturally from the experience.

Thanks for the insight SLBoarder and Ycoseth as well. It is incredibly helpful. Part of my interest in FIEA is because despite my interest in production, I'd stil really like to pursue and develop at least some of my artistic ability, and FIEA offers more freedom to do so.

I have gotten pretty good at animating, modeling and rigging during my undergraduate program, though it is in a software package that FIEA does not use. My traditional skills, drawing and painting are probably a bit lacking next to many of the art students. I'll never be a concept artist but other than lacking any experience in custom painting textures, once I'm on a machine I can model, animate and rig very proficiently.

I realize the importance of focusing on a specialty in this industry but I guess with such a large financial investment, given the opportunity I should try to capitalize on as many resources available to me as possible. Maybe I can't do all the art classes but experience enough in them that would allow me to really hit the ground running if I ever decided town the road to pursue one on my own or move around more freely within a company is what I'm trying to achieve I guess.

Even as a producer, if I could capitalize on the mo-cap lab and get certified it can't hurt on a resume. You guys are the ones with the experience though I have not yet attended so I'm sure this all sounds incredibly ambitious and naive to you haha.

Thanks for the insight again it really is helping a lot.

[Edited by - IronCOOKARU on July 21, 2010 1:41:23 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement