🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Open Source and the Games Industry

Started by
12 comments, last by swiftcoder 13 years, 9 months ago
I already have another thread going, but this question is a bit different.

I'm wondering if game developers are turned off by people who contribute to open source. I'd imagine some very paranoid employers would fear that that one kid who's open about supporting free, open software would be more likely to end up leaking implementations, ideas, etc. into the open world. So are they?
Advertisement
Not to my knowledge. AFAIK, they see it as a plus. They may see an issue if they continue working on something that competes with a project that the company is working on though but that is usually solved by negotiation in the contract stage.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

I wouldn't rule the possibility out, but I've never met anyone who was paranoid in that fashion. You may have to jump through a great many hoops to be able to do open source stuff in your free time, but I very much doubt that it would count against you during the hiring process unless you went out of your way to be annoyingly insistent about free software ideology during the interview. The fact that you conflate "free" and "open" suggests to me that you are NOT the sort of antisocial neckbeard who has anything to worry about. [smile]
Quote: Original post by yaustar
Not to my knowledge. AFAIK, they see it as a plus.

Indeed. One mark of a good programmer is that they like programming, and do it even when they're not being paid to.
This is going to vary by individual I think.

Personally, I'd like to see a job candidate who contributes to open source projects, for a few reasons:

• I can see the quality of their work for myself very easily

• I can determine how well they work on teams, especially teams they probably can't physically interact with

• It tells me they care about what they do

• It tells me they probably aren't obsessive about implementing everything themselves and can use existing libraries/code bases well

• They probably know a particular niche well if they're contributing to notable projects; if that niche is relevant to the job, so much the better

But that's just me [smile]

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I'm going to push the envelope, what if you contribute to a homebrew project?

Again, these are what ifs :)
Quote: Original post by noobermin

Look, noob -- nobody can foretell your future for you. Show your homebrew to 20 different guys, you will not get 1 universal reaction.
If you want to do it, just go for it, okay?
Stonewall Jackson said, "Never take counsel of your fears."
FDR said, "The only thing we have to fear is... fear itself."
Dr. Laura said, "Stop horriblizing!"

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
Show your homebrew game to 20 different guys, you will not get 1 universal reaction.

In other words, "it depends."
It depends on a lot of things. Is the game any good? What part did you play in its creation? Is the code elegant? Did the project have a colorful crash and burn?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Realistically here this is a big plus.
The way you need to think of a job interview is as a competition. It's you against everyone else who has an interview.

If you have contributed to an open-source project in any way this shows:
Obvious Passion
A Self-Starting attitude (aka you went out and found yourself "work")
Motivation (if indeed you stuck to the project)
Ability to work within a team
Ability to keep to deadlines (if applicable)

On top of that, depending on the exact nature of your contribution you have hard evidence of your abilities and what you can produce!

Now going back to an interview being a "competition" - this increases your chances of "winning" (getting the job). Most companies have a generic checklist of things they look for in the ideal candidate. Your ticking boxes here!

As Sneftel said - as long as you don't go in there demanding that the company becomes open-source and you make it clear that if you get the job your "other commitments" will NEVER have a negative impact on your work you'll be just fine.
As an approch for the latter comment I would suggest something along the lines of "I might trial continuing my open source for a few hours at the weekend but if I sense it will affect my performance for this company - I will drop it straight away"
Game Designer at Playground Games
Quote: Original post by noobermin

See previous reply. Same applies.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

UFO: Alien Invasion is open source, and I receive more emails from fans of the game than from other commercial projects I worked on.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement