🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Open Source and the Games Industry

Started by
12 comments, last by swiftcoder 13 years, 9 months ago
AS others have said this is generally seen as a good sign in a job-applicant. Of course you can't rule out that some people will see it differently - some people have never really been exposed to OS or have odd preconceptions about it, or maybe have heard scare stories about "GPL will steal our code".
But I'd say those people are rare and you should play the statistics.
Advertisement
I would hope that all employers would recognize the greater value of open source contribution and therefore not distrust a person who contributes to the cause.
I see independent devs like a community, then open source is a great way to interact, show your skills and find new friends and business partners. The value of open source is immense. Anyone should get this.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor
Quote: Original post by noobermin
I'm going to push the envelope, what if you contribute to a homebrew project?
I take it that the angle you are asking about here is how the legality (or lack thereof) of a home-brew project could affect your employment prospects?

My overall impression is that as long as you are sensible about it, and don't end up in court, then it probably won't hurt you.

However, it may not help you either. If you are slapped with an cease-and-desist, you may end up in the situation where you can't even show screen shots of the project to potential employers - thus making any time spent on that project wasted time.

And as always, IANAL :)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement