🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Great imagination but no drawing artistic skills

Started by
6 comments, last by ManuelMarino 13 years, 9 months ago
So I am wanting to get in video game design/development, not sure which yet, but I don't have to much artistic drawing abilities. Am I out of luck, for this carreer? What is a good direction I should persue? I don't have any knowledge really in the field I just know I would enjoy this carreer very much. thanks for any advice.
Advertisement
No one can tell you whether this field will be enjoyable for you. That is for you to find out. If you don't know where to start, people here can point you to the right direction for resources - but you'll have to be a bit more specific in what area interests you the most.

Just get your hands dirty! Start drawing. Start 3D modelling. Expose yourself to tools that is necessary for game design. Use official and unofficial level editors provided with games and practice making levels. This way, you'll get an idea what is out there, and see what are the possibilities for you. And when you do get your hands dirty, don't feel discouraged if you didn't get things right at first try.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
No, I was not thinking I would not enjoy it, I know I would I was mentioning if I was out of luck getting into the field bc I am not that good at drawing but my true question I guess is what is a good direction to go and start in the fueld, that I could do if I couldn't draw really. Bc I am only guessing that like the animation field you already have to be decent in drawing and stuff, but that is only a guess am I right? if so I really can't draw well what is a good direction, if that makes sense. Thanks for replies always
People tend to do what they enjoy and enjoy what they do.

For example, people who frequently draw tend to like creating art, and those who like creating art then tend to do so.

You can become a modeler or animator without freehand drawing skills. It certainly isn't a prerequisite.

If you aren't really passionate about art or animation on your own, I don't think you will find the career very rewarding. Passions change over your life, so don't worry too much about starting late.

Good game artists tend to be passionate about art on their own. Good game programmers tend to be passionate about programming on their own. Are you passionate about it, or just wanting to get in games?
Quote: 1. So I am wanting to get in video game design/development... but I don't have to much artistic drawing abilities.
2. Am I out of luck, for this carreer?
3. What is a good direction I should persue?
4. I don't have any knowledge really in the field

1. I want to be a bus driver but I don't know how to make a tire. So what? Bus drivers don't make tires.
2. Read FAQ 71. The FAQs are above (see tiny "View Forum FAQ").
3. The one that you WANT to pursue.
4. Then read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

building more, blender3d is a free 3d modeling/animation suite with a game engine in it.

Don't count yourself out because you can't draw. Have you spent any time trying to draw? You'd be surprised how even a day of practice can increase your drawing ability. It's a skill that has to be learned just like any other.

Have you considered writing? If you have a great imagination but can't do visual art, that seems like the next best thing.
People don't get hired just for their imagination. You need to be able to actually do something - either 2D art, 3D art, programming, building levels.

Quote: Original post by Mhill817
What is a good direction I should persue?

The one you enjoy most.

Quote: I don't have any knowledge really in the field....

Then start learning. If you don't know which field you would prefer then start to learn them all. Take art lessons, programming lessons or learn to build game levels. Find out which one you prefer and drop the rest.

Quote: I just know I would enjoy this carreer very much. thanks for any advice.

Actually you just think you will - you don't KNOW. If I tell you Wasabi is a bit like Horseradish you may think you will like Wasabi (if you like Horseradish) but you won't KNOW until you try it. Game development is not like playing games. It is often difficult, frustrating and boring and requires passion to stick at it and do well. You won't know you like it until you have actually tried it.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I agree, but just a point. Usually game developers are also videogames fans.

It's important, because you need to understand this "unique world" and its mechanics.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement