🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting into the whole development thing

Started by
6 comments, last by Orymus 13 years, 9 months ago
Alright, I am interested in becoming a game designer. I want to work on the artistic side rather than the programing side, but I still feel that I don't know much about the industry, let alone have the required skills. I'm graduating from a regular college with a bachelor's in communications and media. Is it necessary for me to go to a game-design specific school, or would it be better to teach myself, or try to get some jobs and blunder my way into success.

I'm looking at Vancouver Film School, Westwood College, and maybe New York Film academy, though they seem to have taken away their game development program.

Which school do you recommend, for what reasons? Or another option?
Advertisement
Forum FAQ of this and Business of Game Development forum. Little link up towards top of this page

A degree on top of the one you have at this point is certainly not necessary. A portfolio, however, certainly is. So get together a bunch of maps that you've designed & if you haven't, then start [smile]

-me
How in-depth are the maps expected to be for a portfolio? Full 3d rendering?
Expected? Nothing is expected. You can present what you think are appropriate, representative pieces of your work. :)

[Edited by - Konfusius on September 20, 2010 9:55:25 PM]
Quote: Original post by Palidine
Forum FAQ of this {For Beginners} and Business of Game Development forum.

No. THIS forum's FAQ. Scroll up to the top, Duciel, and click "View Forum FAQ."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I honestly abide by this rule,

much like you aren't meant to make a single CV to hand out to every single place you apply, you aren't expected to make a single portfolio to send out to everywhere you are applying.

What I mean is, you read the job application, you gather some intel about what it means, try to see if you know a guy who knows a guy inside, and see what they are really looking for. This can be very abstracted, but it gives you some solid groundwork to start from.

Then, you have to prove that you can do the job they are seeking to fill despite the fact they aren't necessarily sure themselves of what the job's exact requirements are. Don't get confused here: they will have a broad idea of what they are looking for, and will go with the candidate that shines the most to them, but shining is extremely subjective, and oftentimes, it is based off your own confidence in your abilities.

If you know what the job is really about, and can give them tangible evidence that you can do exactly that, everything else will be about how you 'dress it up' or present yourself.

Let's pick a concrete example I've currently witnessed.
This one guy was applying for social games design. His portfolio included 3d maps, scripting, AI algorithms, and RTS mechanics.
Did he get the job? No
Was he skilled? Yes, definately
What was the problem? He really didn't show he was interested in the project nor could he convince the team that he would fill the spot with confidence. He could probably spill out an all new Starcraft game, but did he understand social interactions? He did not answer that question with evidence to support this.

This is just one example, but I'd try supporting your application with evidence proving your ability to work in the environment they have suggested (if they gave you the information, or if you managed to snatch it).

I won't deny it, part of how I did a breakthrough here is because I mentionned the Prince of Persia game a couple of times right when a prince of persia title was secretly under wraps in one of the studios here... Result? I got a job... It is not always that easy, but I'm confident it helps.

Good Luck!
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Quote: Original post by Orymus
...they will have a broad idea of what they are looking for, and will go with the candidate that shines the most to them, but shining is extremely subjective...

Exactly. There are teams made of lone wolves (sounds strange, but it works) and if you shine too much you could be considered elated, no good in this case.

In theory, you should choose the team you prefer for the project and for the atmosphere you can feel in the studio.

It's not easy, I know. But it's better to lose a job than working with someone who is too much different than you. You'll have to work with them day by day.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor
I agree with Manuel, although, I think, we're talking about a first job within the industry. I doubt someone who has not yet seen the industry from within could make that 'right' choice upfront. I think everybody needs to 'fail' in that regard on their first job, and for a series of reasons:

1 - We all need to learn the ins and outs of our business. We don't necessarily need to be at the 'right' place to do that, and we may learn it more quickly if we see things that annoy us.

2 - To know what we want, we need to see what we don't want first. If your first job within the industry annoys you from a number of reasons and that, talking with others from other areas, doesn't bring up the same issues, then there may just be one thing such as a better place for you.

3 - Nothing is ever perfect, and a lot of the work is on the employee's end. You need to cope with certain things you don't quite feel ok with. Starting with the worse, and slowly looking for teams with perspectives closer to ours ensures that we broaden our 'open-mindedness' and that we trully enjoy the right spot once we find it.

So while I fully agree with Manuel, I wouldn't bother with this upfront. But this is definately a thing to keep in mind.

The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement