🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it worth it?

Started by
8 comments, last by ManuelMarino 13 years, 9 months ago
I've been playing games my whole life, when I was little I wanted more than to create games "when I grew up". That being said, I've heard and read TONS of horror stories about the industry, and not just from where you'd most expect. I'd imagine an offer from a top software company has both MUCH more job security and better pay, so exactly how exciting and rewarding really is the games industry?

To put it another way, is it worth pursuing the less pay, security, and insane hours compared to more stable and lucrative 9-6 jobs?

(apologies if this has been discussed before, couldn't find any such threads)

edit:
I saw the relevant sloperama faq post, but that is geared much more towards design and QA, and I'm more concerned with the programming end
Advertisement
It depends on what you want, what you enjoy, and what makes you miserable.

Though it should be said that bizdev isn't exactly the model of high pay and good job security for regular hours either...
Quote: Original post by Cephalopated
To put it another way, is it worth pursuing the less pay, security, and insane hours compared to more stable and lucrative 9-6 jobs?
We can't answer that for you - it's a personal question.

For me, I resigned from a secure, decent paying, 9-5 programming job and took an insecure games programming job with mandatory overtime for 25% less pay... and I'd do it again.
I did the opposite to Hodgman and don't regret it at all. I have my nights and weekends back with more pay on a smaller team where I have more say and control. Win-win for me (plus I can make games in my spare time).

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Are you making games in your spare time?

If so, you might enjoy a gamedev job. Then again, you might not. It's a really individual thing.

If not... chances are you don't have the drive to make games that you would need to put up with the downsides of the industry. Of course, the same thing applies to any programming job in general - if you're not absorbed by it, then doing it for a job is going to be, well, boring and menial. In fact, that's true of basically any career.

As has been said, this isn't a question we can answer. What's "worth it" is up to you. You've gotten two very different opinions already in this thread: one who moved into the industry and is happy for having done so, and one who moved out and is just as happy.

Individuals vary. You're the only one who can decide what you truly want.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I would love to work in the games industry, but it's hard to give up my secure, well paying (considering my region) job and benefits. If I found myself suddenly unemployed (hopefully this won't happen), I might give it a shot full time.
I started out with the same dream and started programming over 12 years ago. However, when I "grew up" I also had to "pay out" so I didn't get to pursue it as I wanted to. Now I work for the Government, which I don't regret at all because of the benefits, retirement, insurance, etc. In my spare time I do side jobs and I also do game development projects because that's where I still find my passion. Granted I don't make a huge amount of money from it, but that is why I have my full-time job. I do it because it makes me happy and it's fun.

So it all comes down to what you want and what is going to make you happy.
Here is an old thread, but it applies to you.
Quote: Original post by Cephalopated
Is it worth it?

I saw the relevant sloperama faq post, but that is geared much more towards design and QA, and I'm more concerned with the programming end

You mean you already read FAQ 66? That's the one most relevant to your question. But, it doesn't say anything about design or QA.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think in the end you must choose what makes you happy and relaxed. Yes, you can work for a better paid job, but if you don't like it...
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement