🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

study

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 13 years, 9 months ago
I'm thinking about doing a master study but I'm not yet sure which. I like to create software (programming and everything related to software engineering). I also like low level programming such as assembly and C.

I wonder about these studies: are the job possibilities good? (not neccessarily in gaming)? and would it be possible to study further after (for e.x. a dr degree, what is the value of dr. in the IT field?)

- MSc Software Engineering
- MSc Artificial Intelligence
- MSc Computer Science

Also is a 2 year master degree more valuable than a 1 year master degree?
Advertisement
Hi Frankfrank,
Your questions are difficult to understand. I assume English is not your first language.
You can take a Masters degree in whatever subject you want.
A Masters degree is not essential, and it is not an impediment to getting a job in the game industry.
A Ph.D. is not necessary. I do know one Ph.D. who became a game programmer.
Just about anything is possible.
I don't understand your question "are the job possibilities good?" so you'll have to rephrase that one.
We can only address jobs in the game industry here.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I'll try to rewrite the questions,
Does having a master degree "create" more job possibilities? (do you have more possibilities in chosing from jobs if you have a master degree)
Would you a hire a person with a degree in Software Engineering, CS or Artificial Intelligence?
Is there an advantage of having a Ph.D. in a game company?
Quote: Original post by frankfrank
Does having a master degree "create" more job possibilities? (do you have more possibilities in chosing from jobs if you have a master degree)

It shows that you have completed a moderately big project and picked up additional education. It is treated roughly the same as one year of non-industry experience, but it takes two years to get.

Later in life it can help you look a little more valuable than those without it.

Only pursue the education if you actually want the education for yourself.
Quote: Would you a hire a person with a degree in Software Engineering, CS or Artificial Intelligence?
I prefer Computer Science degrees.

The "software engineering" programs that I've seen are basically trade school programs. Other names are "Computer Programming", "Game Programming", "Software Development", and "Computer Information Systems". These are usually trade school programs where the graduates lack skill depth and theory.

Quote: Is there an advantage of having a Ph.D. in a game company?
Not as a general game programmer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement