🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Finding job and other questions

Started by
18 comments, last by SeaBourne 13 years, 9 months ago
I guess I'll just send it in and just deal with it that a way. I guess I could also talk to some of my mates that have some that work for that company and try and see if I can find more information also.. Thanks, sorry if I wasted your time.
Advertisement
Finland: The best place to live
the worst place to get a job.

I did the first but couldn't do the second. If you are not passionate about Finland, forget it.

In Finland, foreigners have hard times: they don't speak the lingo. So if you are passionate about it: have 3-5 years of WORK experience (and pretty good references) OR speak Finnish fluently (they say it's pretty hard to learn, I'm a Hungarian but it was hard for me too).
I had neither of it, so I failed. I know a guy, who literally fucked himself a job, but he had 3 years of LINUX programming experience (project leader tasks with freaking good references)+university degree.

For low level jobs: you will probably compete with 100-200 other applicants, 90% of them are Finns.

Okay, I'm not sure about IT, you might get lucky if you live and try to find a job in Finland (if you are not located in Finland, well....) for 6-12 months.
Quote: Original post by SeaBourne
I am just trying to find out what experience in C++ based jobs. What kind of experience would the average job willing to accept.

It depends on the level of the job. Some may require experience developing one or more projects in C++ or X years experience. Some, trainee positions, may just require an ability to program but no real C++ experience. The job advert or website should list what experience is required.

Quote: I'm not really too fond of just email a job asking what kind of experience they are looking for. Because, I should really know.

How can you know if they didn't tell you? Different jobs require different levels of experience. The company should clearly list what experience and qualifications they require in the advert/website.

Quote: I agree, but what happens if they don't list that but just says send in your résumés and/or cv's?

Then they aren't a very good company (or they are advertising for psychic programmers).

Quote: I guess I could also talk to some of my mates that have some that work for that company and try and see if I can find more information also.

Yes talking to people who work there would seem to be by far the best solution - especially if they are friends.

You didn't say what your native language is or what language the company operate in? If it is English then I strongly urge you to get someone with a better grasp of English to review your resume/cover letter.

good luck.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote: Original post by Obscure
I agree, but what happens if they don't list that but just says send in your résumés and/or cv's?

Then they aren't a very good company (or they are advertising for psychic programmers).

Well, either that or perhaps they don't have any openings.
You could in this case try sending them an unsolicted application.

As to the mention of Germany, Switzerland, Finland etc.,
why do you want to work here? It goes for Europe as well as the US that
you're >way< better off with references, education or demos.

If you don't have any education it's still likely that you can fill a prestigeous
position by handing in a well-coded demo showcasing your skills.

But think about the way you word your application. Remember spaces, \n's and paragraphs.

-Good luck to you!
My native language is English. Right now I'm studying German, because I'm wanting to move to Germany. I was just giving Finland. My German isn't that good, though I do have basic knowledge of the language. Only thing is killing me, is the lack of vocabulary and speaking it on the spot. I have a lot of German mates, so that's helping me with the language learning and having references.

Right now, I'm trying to study more of C++ through an ANSI C++ book, while learning more Python on the side. I started recently getting in to another project helping on an open source gaming engine. So I can try and experience working with others and diving into a big project.

Thank you guys for responding to my question. I appreciate the help a lot. :)
My native language is English.

OK well I really hope this doesn't offend you but your posts above are the most poorly written and incomprehensible English I have seen in a very very long time. I seriously thought English was your second language (and not a very good second language at that).

Why is good written communication important?

Firstly good written communication is an essential part of the job application process as well as in the work place. If you were to submit a résumé or CV that were as poorly written as the posts above they would almost certainly go straight in the trash.

Secondly how do you expect to get the information you need in life when people can't understand you. It wasn't until your third or fourth post that anyone could understand what you were asking. If that was the level of English you used when you asked your question in other places it isn't any surprise people thought it was a joke. - Is that really what you want people to think of you?

There were at least 13 typos and grammatical errors in your posts above. Some so serious that they rendered your sentences meaningless. Maybe your English is excellent and you are just lazy and can't be bothered to write well in a web forum. If so I would urge you to think again. Not only is it rude to force people to struggle to comprehend you but it can also result in you simply not getting the information you want/need. Alternatively, if that really is the level of your written English I strongly suggest that you take classes to improve it. Written communication skills are an essential tool for life.

Once again I am sorry if the above offends you but I really think this is an important issue that you need to address.
www.obscure.co.uk
I don't take offence to it. I only struggle when trying to explain stuff. I am not good at that, well frankly never was, sadly. I do find it strange that on IRC and everything else, people can understand me perfectly well. Except when I'm trying to explain my code or whatever.
My native language is English.

You can't be serious.
Quote: what kind of experience are C++ like jobs.

Quoted as evidence for my incredulosity.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I was really really bad at spelling when I was young. Then I got older and I was still really really bad. Eventually one day I decided to do something about it. I started using a spell checker, but not auto-correct. When a word was flagged as wrong I retyped it until I got it right. I also started making a note of words I couldn't spell and worked extra hard to learn them. That was years ago, before email software and browsers had built in spell checkers - that meant I had to type my emails in Word (it had a spell checker) and then copy them to my email. It was a real pain but my spelling improved... slowly. now it is just bad. Of course my email and browser have spell checkers now and I see more red underline than I would like but I keep working at it.

I don't know what your problem is. It maybe that you are rushing to get ideas from your head onto paper and so you get sloppy and miss out important words. Or it may be a poor vocabulary or weak understanding of grammar.
Quote: I was wondering, what kind of experience are C++ like jobs.

If you can re-read this line from your first post and see why it doesn't make any sense then it is probably a speed issue. Rushing to get stuff written and not checking it properly (I have to triple check all my posts because I just miss words out). If you can't see what is wrong then it is a vocabulary/grammar issue or possibly even some issue with the way your brain processes the written word.

If it is speed, vocabulary or grammar that are the cause then you can improve by paying attention and practising. It won't happen overnight but it will improve, it just takes practise (and maybe going back and re-reading some grammar text books). I suggest you start out by trying to work out for yourself what your weakness is and practise to improve it. Give it some time - months not days. If it still doesn't improve then it could possibly be some issue similar to dyslexia. Talk to a doctor - there may well be techniques that can help improve things (going to take more practise I'm afraid) in the same way that speech therapists help people who stammer.

If you are 5'8" tall it doesn't matter how much you practise, you will never be 6'7". Reading, writing, programming, playing instruments, cooking etc. These things can all be improved dramatically just by practising.

Good luck

- and before anyone points out that I spelled practise wrong I am a Brit. That is how we spell it.

[Edited by - Obscure on September 30, 2010 11:32:11 AM]
www.obscure.co.uk
I really don't know why I write bad. I have forgotten all the rules of English. I don't remember a single one, I just know how to use it. I do type fast, I actually do use the spell checker though. What's funny is, I don't have spelling issues in German. I can spell perfectly. I do have some spelling in English, like necessary which I sometimes spell neccessary, etc. Don't worry, I tend to use British spelling over English, just looks better and what not. But, I understand. The line that you did point out, it was a typo and I was up all night so I blame it on that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement