🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Full Sail

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 13 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I am looking to become a 3d artist. I am currently attending the University of North Dakota and was hoping graduate with a B.S in Computer Science and a specialization in Game Development and Computer Animation. After spending over a month here, Im realizing that it is all programming. Even the computer graphics classes are programming in openGL. So Ive been looking around briefly at the colleges in my area (Crookston, MN) and cant seem to find a school with some classes that use 3d software. So Ive been looking at Full Sail and am interested in getting the B.S in Game Art online. But I am not too optimistic about it after hearing bad reviews and that the degree you get there is considered a joke to professionals. Is there anyone that has gotten or getting a degree from Full Sail that could detest that? Also, if the bad rep is true, would anyone have any suggestions for colleges? Im not really interested in going far away from where I am now. So Im thinking getting a degree online would be ideal.

Thanks
Advertisement
Getting a degree online is never ideal.

Most of the arguments against Full Sail I've seen have been about the programming aspects. I'm not sure the common arguments (doesn't provide a well-rounded background, doesn't help for the inevitable bizdev job) apply so well to the art program.

That said, I'm not sure you need a 4 year degree just to learn 3d modeling. And I'm not sure that a good digital art program won't involve a lot of traditional art and theory. I'm not an artist, so I'll let others comment there. Just trying to say that what you're looking for seems a little specific and might not exist. UND has a fairly good CS program. I'd caution you against too much thinking that the grass is greener elsewhere.
lhok, you would do yourself a favor if you would read everything that this forum's FAQ has to say about game schools. Scroll up and look for the tiny blue text that says "View Forum FAQ."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by lhok13
Hello, I am looking to become a 3d artist. .. was hoping graduate with a B.S in Computer Science and a specialization in Game Development and Computer Animation.

Modelers, artists, and animators get Fine Arts degrees.
Programmers get Computer Science degrees.

There are hundreds of colleges and universities with BFA programs that include studies in digital artwork, digital modeling, and digital animation. Any of them, plus a solid portfolio of your work, can help you get a job in the industry.

The UND Department of Art & Design does not appear to be such a school, apparently focusing instead on traditional drawing. It also looks like a relatively small program, and considering the population they pull from, it is understandable. Check out other schools, and consider moving.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement