🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cover letter - Tear it apart!

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 7 months ago
Thanks, Rav. I actually made a few of those changes on my own right before I sent it out. I do have a tendency to overuse commas, so my comma-proofing is usually the last thing i do befor ei send a letter out.
Advertisement
In a cover letter, you should relate your experience to the company and the position. Instead of saying how "With these experiences, and those listed on my attached resume, I feel that I would fill the role of Associate Producer wonderfully", you should, throughout the entire cover letter, show how your experience will carry over to their company. The cover letter should let the employer see if you'll be a great asset or not. The interview is where you talk more about yourself so they can see your personality and whether or not you'll fit in with the company's culture.

And like others have said: your letter is TOO long.

Recap:
1. Less of an "I" view and more of a "I can help you" view.
2. Shorten it up.
Quote: Salutations,
Seems awkward. Start with something more generic?

Quote: I am writing today with regards to the Associate Producer position as advertised on your website. I feel that with my real world project experience,
Wordy. "Real world project experience" - are you implying that others have done "not real world" experience? Are the projects relevant?
Quote: my university engineering experience,
"experience" is twice in the same setence.
Quote: and my personal passion for games I would be a perfect fit for this opening, and an asset to Activision Value.
"Activision Value" seems very wordy.

Overall, however, your first paragraph is pretty good. It keeps the focus on them and why they want you. A lot of people make the mistake of trying to say "here's why I want to work for you."

However, it's very general. You don't name a specific thing other than the company name and position. They're falling asleep here because you haven't talked about YOU yet.

Quote: At my current job, I am the technical lead for my project, creating automation to test web applications and interfaces.
What is your current job?
Quote: During this project, I have acted as liaison between the project managers and developers. I determine the priority of tasks for our customer and distribute work to our developer team in India. Previous to my joining the team, the PMs simply handed down tasks from the customer to the developers with no organization of labor. Since I have joined, I now negotiate timelines with the Project managers, relating my technical experience to them as they determine the tasks for us to complete. I aided in the drafting of a defined scope document for our project, giving hard limitations to the tasks which could be given us. When I joined the project, deliverables were 6+ months overdue, and now we are back on schedule with our new scope document.
This is all great stuff, but you need to link it to the gaming industry sooner. How does this help Activision?

I think the main problem here is that you're applying for a job in the games industry. Somewhere in here, you should be saying "I believe X skill demonstrated here will help in Y area of your company."

You also lost the focus of them. This paragraph is about you. Spell out why it matters to them.

Quote: I am a recent graduate of the University of Minnesota, graduating with a BS in Computer science. While in school, I took classes such as Project Management which left me prepared for all aspects of the development life cycle. Through this class, I was introduced to the University Alumni Center, who sponsored the creation of an iPhone application for their members. I utilized the V-Model software development methodology to organize the goals of the project and keep our members on track. The V-Model worked well because our team members had a mix of backgrounds, ranging from very strict classical project management to very open ended agile development. This model allowed me to keep the agile workers happy with an interleaved testing/implementation methodology late in the project, while satisfying the more concrete minded team members by keeping a distinct development-implementation flow early on. We aligned our team strategy with Activision's mission of maintaining a culture of financial discipline. As a result, the Alumni Center has already seen turnaround on the app.

By this point, you've really lost focus. They're reading your application and going "oh, it's someone who hasn't done anything in the gaming industry. I have person X who has done something in the gaming industry."

On a serious note: you have not mentioned the industry or position once. All you said was "I'm going to be a perfect fit," but you haven't provided any merit for that claim.

Quote: Outside of the university and job I have organized and lead an international team of artists, musicians, and testers in order to create flash games, available online at www.moosetacular.com. We have created our games using design documents, and milestone dates for progress. I keep up to date with my team members using many methods of communication, from email, to instant messaging, and Skype conferences. I have headed the design and coding of the games, working closely with a team of 15 beta testers to get feedback on game play, user interface , and general user experience. I have even kept our developers to a strict, two week deadline for some games, to test our ability to rapidly design and prototype.

Delete everything else but this. Expand this into two paragraphs. Incorporate the other topics into this.

Quote: With these experiences, and those listed on my attached resume, I feel that I would fill the role of Associate Producer wonderfully. I would be thrilled to work on games like History Civil War: Secret Missions, telling a great story while providing an immersive experience. Please feel free to contact me anytime via email at abcd@efgh.com or via my cell phone at (xxx)xxx-xxxx. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
abcd

I was typing comments as I read it, but I was thinking the entire way through "poor guy, he's got no shot." Then I read the 2nd-to-last paragraph and thought "wow, he's a shoe-in."

Get more on www.moosetacular.com. You can mention other stuff later, but everything should point back to that.
Quote: Original post by MAEnthoven
Quote: I am writing today with regards to the Associate Producer position... I would be a perfect fit for this opening, and an asset to Activision Value.
"Activision Value" seems very wordy.

It's the proper name of a subsidiary of Activision. The rest of the sentence contains the excessive wordiness, not this part.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement