🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Jobs by net, it is possible?

Started by
9 comments, last by ambershee 13 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys,

I want to know if is possible to get jobs by net and if someone have this experience?
Is possible to get in a team to build a game ?

Joing people from different countries , something like this.

Bye

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Felipe GameDesigner
I want to know if is possible to get jobs by net
Is possible to get in a team to build a game ?

Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson50.htm
And read this forum's FAQ (it's above, and it's very small -- click "View Forum FAQ")

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Bye

Did you seriously write that in your post... I bet it's possible to get a job through the internet, extremely rare but possible non the less. But I doubt anyone who's online communication skills tell them to end a post with "bye" is going to.

Sorry for my rant.
Quote: Original post by zorocke
Bye

Did you seriously write that in your post... I bet it's possible to get a job through the internet, extremely rare but possible non the less. But I doubt anyone who's online communication skills tell them to end a post with "bye" is going to.

Sorry for my rant.

Maybe English is not his first language like it is yours?
I want to know if is possible to get jobs by net and if someone have this experience?
Well, I'm living proof. The company I work for employs about 400 people, almost all working from their home and from every continent except Antarctica (although some have lied about that).

Now mind, we're not a game development company. We do publish games, though, among other software.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

A few companies employ people to work from home but it is very rare and they usually only do this for people who already have extensive industry experience. It would be very unlikely for someone with no proven industry experience. Entry level staff need training, help and support and for that reason need to ne in an office with the bulk of the team.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I work freelance as a games programmer. But I had a shipped game and other game related experience (company closed before game was released). So while I had little experience in what the company used to make games I have demonstrated professional work and a couple complete games in my portfolio to show I have some idea what I was doing. Though I'm really getting the feeling they are wanting me to move to where the office is so I can be around for meetings and not be piped in through a conference call. If you can prove that you can do the job then you could have a fair shot at getting a job. If you are a recent college grad/no degree you are going to find its probably pretty difficult.

A disadvantage that people don't think about is there is really no room for advancement if you work remote. I don't know about you but I don't want to be a code monkey forever, I would like to get into some middle to upper management at some point. And that isn't going to happen unless you can get into the office on a regular basis.
I heartily disagree with the sentiments that there's no advancement. I'm also a freelance programmer, and I mainly do small indie gigs. In any case, I've been offered some fairly senior positions before, both on and off site. I've only declined because I quite simply don't have the experience yet to deal with that.
I am the lead programmer in my primary area of developement but in the grand scheme of things its not really that much of a promotion. When I'm talking about promotions I'm talking about positions like producers/studio heads/etc. Its hard to do those kinds of jobs when you are hundreds of miles away from the people doing the job. We had a two hour design meeting yesterday and I was on a conference call and they are drawing all kinds of things on the whiteboard to try and get ideas across and all they can do is try and explain whats on the board instead of me seeing it. Makes me much less effective in giving input on if certain things are possible.

Ok. No is it possible questions...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement