🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question regarding the Resumes

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 13 years, 7 months ago
What is a correct resume structure? I mean where should experience come, where should the hobbies. I hope you understand.
Advertisement
I have a very expensive resume template that I can't just give outright to others. However, I can describe important parts.

It all depends on the job you are applying for. I also have a resume template for Biology/Lab Work positions as these employers expect something with less flair and more "straight to the point". In this resume, my education comes first, then my job history etc.

In my other (expensive template) resume, I start with a simple tag-line or a hook that summarizes what I am capable of. Below this, I list several interesting and pertinent facts. For me they say...

-Has completed a 65,000 word novel.
-Has completed 250 pages of an 800 page game script.

Under this there are several categories. One of them is headlined as "As a Change Catalyst". Under this I give several examples that suggest I catalyzed change in my previous positions. Below this my job experience went and finally my education.

There are many different formats for a resume. This is just one and it landed me a video game testing position.

P.S. You mentioned hobbies. Unless they are absolutely relevant to the position you are posting for, then do not bother including them because the employers do not care. I posted my completed novel and game script in my resume for a game testing position because this position requires excellent writing skills and experience.
Hobbies belong in the cover letter (the cover email), not the resume.
This post belongs in Breaking In.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by brad12
What is a correct resume structure? I mean where should experience come, where should the hobbies. I hope you understand.

Now that you are in the "Breaking In" forum, look through the old posts and you will discover several variations.

Generally they are in order of most to least relevant.

For a student or recent graduate, that would be:

* Name and contact info
* Optional objective, clearly stating what the document is targeting (entry level programmer, level designer, etc.) This allows HR to throw you in the right bin, or throw it out entirely.
* Education, listing skills and projects.
* Employment history, with measurable accomplishments
* Other evidence relevant to employment at a the company, either judged externally or provided without judgment allowing them to make their own decision; self-assessment is generally useless because you don't have the experience for accurate comparisons.

If you have completed any significant hobby game development work, it should be on that list. If the work is significant enough you might move it up before employment, or even up before education in the more extreme cases.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement