🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game programming job market

Started by
19 comments, last by toony 13 years, 7 months ago
where is the money at? programming for handheld devices, pc, or others...
what i mean exactly is the job market and which choice guarantees more jobs.
i think it's in the mobile devices.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by toony
where is the money at? programming for handheld devices, pc, or others...
what i mean exactly is the job market and which choice guarantees more jobs.
i think it's in the mobile devices.

None of them. If you want a lot of money, become a database programmer. Or a medical doctor, since a global outbreak of complete health is unlikely.

No career "guarantees" any job at all. A century ago buggy manufacturers and carriage-tack leather work was a solid career choice for any young man, today the field is nonexistent.

Your employability increases with more knowledge and more experience. Certainly there is a demand for mobile device programmers. If that is what you enjoy, then go for it.

If you choose your career only for the money, or only for stable employment, you will likely be very disappointed with your life.

What do you enjoy? Where are your passions? That is what you should ask, not about the money.
The ones who get the good money are the ones who understand, and religiously make, proper use of the Shift key.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

thanks for replies. reason i asked is because i was job searching and most vacancies i noticed require java. when your over 25 you dont get much time to learn new stuff like java since time is short... i've also seen very few c/c++ vacacies with decent pay but extra experience is needed, like database programming for example. jobs always seem to require something one hasn't. i guess self employment is not a bad choice if planned correctly.
You'd best be figuring out how to find some time to learn new things. You don't think you could base an entire career off learning C++ for four years in college and nothing else? You either adapt to changes or find a new career. You aren't going to find to many jobs that don't require something "extra".

Its not like Java is Scheme or something where it takes a different train of thought to program. Any C++ programmer worth hiring ought to be able to pick up enough Java over a weekend for a entry level job. The sytnax is very similar and for all intents and purposes they work the same way.
Honestly, it sounds to me like you're making a lot of excuses -- 25 is nowhere near the age that learning something new should be difficult. Furthermore, the things you seem to be balking about aren't, or shouldn't be, difficult to learn for someone who claims to know C++.

If you had come complaining that the only marketable skills in your area are Scheme or Haskell I might have more sympathy for you, but languages like Java, C# or even VB.Net are not even a stone's throw away from C++ (Ok, I would have sympathy for you in the case of VB.Net, but for entirely different reasons [grin]).

Likewise, databases aren't difficult to learn either. A year ago I was in the position of needing to learn SQL for the first time -- a week with a $12.00, pocket-sized book and a little internet study allowed me to pass the interview and aside from simply working with SQL, I was designing SQL databases and writing SQL-based applications within months.

I also "learned" C# on the same job, but I hesitate to even call such a simple transition (from C++) "learning". Seriously.

Specific programming languages and APIs are basically inconsequential to real programmers -- adaptability is the name of the game. If you can't, or won't, adapt, then I recommend you consider taking up a new, less-progressive, line of work. Perhaps you could become a shoe-cobbler or a chimney sweep.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Quote: Original post by Ravyne
Likewise, databases aren't difficult to learn either. A year ago I was in the position of needing to learn SQL for the first time -- a week with a $12.00, pocket-sized book and a little internet study allowed me to pass the interview and aside from simply working with SQL, I was designing SQL databases and writing SQL-based applications within months.

I learned MySQL on the job as I got "transferred" to the networking side of things and picked it up pretty well inside of a week just using the internet and here eight months later I'm writting scripts as good as the 15 year veteran DBA guy. Of course we do get some weird things now and again where he fixes my script and he knows much, much more of the theory of how databases work and why certain scripts run better the others. Our DBA guy is only "on call" so hes not around all that much which makes me the goto guy when it comes to MySQL in the office. But the point is I learned a new technology with no hand holding from the outside and became pretty proficient in it. And this is nothing special, it should be expected of anybody who wants to keep any kind of programming (games or enterprise) job for any length of time.

lmao, bare jokes! i really hate java and c#, and i started programming in c#! i like the way c/c++ was designed. But i'm going with the reply from frob, because it seems more realistic, and i should do what i enjoy else changing career for a second time is pointless! learning two different languages like java and c/c++ requires you to remember the syntax of each language where they differentiate. i'd rather learn database programming than handheld device programming with java.
i just hate anything that isn't c/c++! and i understand that the more you know the more chance you have at getting employed.
You are lazy. You want to learn some bare minimum and expect to have some life long career. Sorry, but C++ is nowhere near the end all and be all of programming. You are just making excuses to not learn anything new because of probably a fanboy image of C++ and you have to use that to make games. I haven't touched C++ in nearly a year and its great. I get so much more done not having to mess with its issues. The way you pair up C and C++ means you probably don't even really know the difference between them. Yes, the sytnax is the same and they share a lot of common elements but they aren't the same. Real C++ code is going to have more in common with Java then C. But when most people do C++ its a odd bastardization of C and C++ that is really neither so people follow the logical conclusion they are the same.

The bottom line is if you are getting into programming (games) to make a lot of money or you refuse to learn anything new then its probably time for you to pick another career. Even if you want to do business apps you still have to adapt. 10 years ago most everything would have been done in the hell that is C++ with MFC. Today its C# and Java with it being mostly Java.
lmao!! wOw! hmm, that does not apply to me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement