🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

questionn??

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 7 months ago
hi guys can i still get into the game devolopment industry without actually studying it

i want to learn and develop it as a hobby and i WILL put in lotd of work so can i get into the industry by putting in MANY hours at home rather than at school or uni

i know it will be harder but is it possible?
Advertisement
This is Bad Question #50:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson50.htm

Since you are only interested in taking it up as a hobby and not in getting a job, this is moved to For Beginners.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I was only a couple weeks into college when I had an easy opportunity to work at Hit Point Studios (they make crappy flash games for Axe and other stuff).

Sure you can get into the game industry, but you will probably start out in a lame studio, and you still need to learn a little about making games on your own.
Yes, it's possible to get in to the industry without specifically studying "game development" in school. Study what you are interested in, both in school and out of school.
Quote: Original post by Adon786
i want to learn and develop it as a hobby and i WILL put in lotd of work so can i get into the industry by putting in MANY hours at home rather than at school or uni

i know it will be harder but is it possible?

If you want to learn programming as a hobby the better is to dev RIGHT NOW ! :)

Choose your language, master the logic and all subjects like networking and you'll see after.

i don't know if it's harder but it's longer for sure.
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replys guys
the thing is i want it to START as a hobby but i want to get good enough to go into the industry

thanks guys
Quote: Original post by Adon786
Thanks for the replys guys
the thing is i want it to START as a hobby but i want to get good enough to go into the industry

Then you need to get a degree, and you need to read the Breaking In FAQs. Moved back to Breaking In. Scroll up and click "View Forum FAQ."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement