🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help critique my resume

Started by
9 comments, last by Concentrate 13 years, 6 months ago
I am trying to come up with an objective statement for my resume. Right now I want it to be general, thus applying it to any CSE related position( don't know if this is a good thing or not). Anyways, this is what I have right now, and would like some feedback on it. I am a college student in my junior year.

Objective statement:

Objective: I am seeking an opportunity that will enable me to utilize my knowledge and expertise in different areas, while constantly challenging me.

Thanks.

EDIT: Actually here is my resume link

[Edited by - Concentrate on December 17, 2010 5:55:29 PM]
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Advertisement
I know I posted in your other thread, but really your objective is way too vanilla. Everything on your resume should make you stand out in some way or provide some sort of necessary information to the potential employer.

didn't look at the download yet.
It would be easier to list the very few things right about the document.

Your objective is the least of your problems. The clear and short statement "Looking for job as programming intern" would be adequate.

You are a college student, and you listed that you like to write games. Those are good.

Almost EVERYTHING else on there should be changed.

You are still attending college and won't graduate until 2012. That means you've got about 14 months before sending it out to game studios. I suggest you spend some of that time reading from the many posts in this forum (search for the exact title of your thread, "critique my resume") and get some ideas.

Your format is horrible. It does not look professional, it is missing transferable skills, it contains a bunch of useless information, and it does not give me any evidence that you can do the job as a programmer. Look through the forum's frequent posts and compare your style with theirs. Also, visit your school's career counseling office and talk to people there. I'm sure that you have many wonderful things in your life that you could put in there, far more than could be discussed on forum posts.

You should remove your birthday, as it opens you up to age discrimination. The way you listed your knowledge of Nepali and Hindi is also somewhat of a problem. There presence is good, but presentation is horrible. If you describe them properly they can be an asset.

The problems with your "activities and interests", and your "key skills" sections have been discussed in many forum posts and are discussed in a few of the FAQ links. Please spend some time to read them and look at the pros and cons of different formats.

There are many well-acclaimed books on what to put in the document. Go read a few. Once you've applied that knowledge and rewritten it with your transferable skills in a professional format, and included some detail about your personal life that shows your potential, let's look at it again.
Thanks I will refactor it.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Ok I updated my resume. I stole the structure of someone here, while I was gamedev googling it. Hope he doesn't mind. I updated my resume. There is still some space to fill up. I can't think of any things at the moment. Any suggestions. Thanks

-Concentrate.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
That MegaUpload site is pretty annoying... Anyways some feedback:

Quote: I am seeking a summer internship to help further my experience in the Computer Science related work.

Computer Science related work is a very odd noun. Maybe reword to: ... experience in Computer Science. Or ... in the Computer Science field. Or something similar to: round out my Computer Science knowledge with industry experience.

Put one line of whitespace between Programming Languages and Libraries and Tools.

Drop the 1,2,3 from Calculus.

Quote: Worked with a team

Can you expand on that in any way? It's a pretty important point. Did you take on any leadership initiatives?

Put one line of whitespace between Dunkin Donuts and Shells.

In my resume I put the title on the same line as the company name. This leaves some more room to add one or two bullet points of highlights of that position. For example did you handle any very difficult customers in a professional manner? Or work efficiently in high stress busy situations?

Quote: Co-founded Nepali Student Association(NSA) for University of Connecticut

Co-founded the Nepali Student Association at the University of Connecticut

In the Activities and Interests I would choose all past tense or all present tense. Just be consistent.
PS: I noticed in your tools that there is no SCM, issue tracking systems, build systems, or debuggers. The first three are extremely important in team environments within the industry. Really knowing debuggers and a build system (e.g. make, ant, or maven) is bonus points for your technical ability.

If your current team does not use SCM (e.g. Subversion or Git) or an issue tracking system (e.g. Bugzilla or Jira) then you have a perfect opportunity to take the initiative to learn it and introduce it to your team. Doing something like this would look great on your resume.
Thanks, I will apply the changes and re-post. We don't really use any debugging system, but I've been exposed to debugging in programming languages( ex eclipse debugging, visual studio...)

Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
So there are the changes I made :
Objective: I am seeking a summer internship in the Computer Science field.

And I took out calculus and added Object Oriented Design

And I expanded the working with team to this :

• Worked With a team

• Communicated with team member to deliver milestones

• Assisted team members when in need for help

And for my activities and interest this is what I have now :

• Game Development - Created and developed games in 2D or 3D using C++ and OpenGL or Java

• Research - Researched various topics related to math/Computer Science

• Tutor - Tutored in science related courses near my area

• Languages - English and Nepali fluently and basic Hindi

• Basketball - Played in a local league.

I'm not too good with English so my wording might be off here and there.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Quote: Original post by Concentrate
Game Development - Created and developed games in 2D or 3D using C++ and OpenGL or Java

way more detail on that if you're applying to game studios. They'd probably like it at any development place because game software is usually more intensive than a lot of stuff you'll do in other types of application because it touches so much. My internship for a defense contractor I got in part because I had game related stuff on my resume.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement