🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question VC++ and DOS programming:

Started by
1 comment, last by AreaOne 22 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone....I have VC++ 6.0 standard edition. Even though this is a WIN based programming deal, can''t I also program DOS based C++ with it? I am trying studying C++ and learning it before I deal with WIN based programming, but can''t I use VC++6.0 to do DOS also???
Advertisement
You can''t program "real" dos programs but they have something called a console application which you can treat just like you were in dos. You can use cin/cout/printf/scanf and all that other good stuff but you cant try and use bios interrupt calls or whatever, like trying to switch to mode 13h or something like that for graphics.
If you wanted to do graphics programming you should have either chosen to learn C and Assembler. But since many people are of the opinion that this would be tough to start with, I recommend you study either DirectX or OpenGL after you finished your C++ book.
Let us learn to dream, gentleman, and the we may perhaps find the truth - F. A. Kekulé

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement