🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

dumb newbie question

Started by
5 comments, last by death_jester 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi all. This is a pretty dumb question but i have been wondering the answer.When i read some posts about making games..some of the develpers talk aboout designing the enigne or somthing like that?so let me conclude this!What is an engine? thanx in advance. laterz-death_jester
Advertisement
An engine is the framework behind the program. It handles such things as graphics, sound, input, and game related things like ai, collision detection, object managers, etc. If you develop a flexible engine, you can use it to program many different games.
Thank you very much!
I cant give you an exact description of what an engine is but I can give you a basic idea. Most of the others here are way smarter than I am an can probably fill in the rest. Its just
a chunck of code thats made to drive an aspect of your program.
Most of the time people are refering to the graphics engine, for example a 3D graphics engine. It would have all the needed parts
to control all the graphic needs your program has. It wont actualy do anything on its own but once you give it something to
do and the supplies to do it with it will go to work for you.
Such as telling it to draw a figure on the screen. This is
a simplistic discrip. There can be alot involved.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Yah, his response is better. Don''t mind me.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Better is relative. . . You did a fine job with your description.
Thats pretty funny...Both of yours where good thank u both
laterz-death jester *giggles harshly*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement