🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graphics File readers / converters

Started by
0 comments, last by Norman Kluksdahl 22 years, 9 months ago
I''ve been lurking and digging for the past couple of days, but I haven''t found what I''m looking for - namely, functions, algorithms, etc. to read a 3D file such that my code can use the vertices, normals, and other information in my OpenGL program. I''m also curious about what the most common file format is for model data. The tool I''m using can output in a variety of formats, and since I don''t want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, I''d rather find a utility to import the file without adding to my already huge workload. Norman Kluksdahl nkluksda@ghg.net
Advertisement
The OBJ format seems to be pretty commonplace, although I haven''t used (much less own ) many 3D modeling programs, so I couldn''t say how many can export in that format.

I wrote a converter to change the OBJ format to my own custom format. The OBJ format is very simple (just look at a OBJ file, and you''ll see what I mean). Storing the format as a custom binary file, rather than a text file also helps the file size in alot of cases. Then I simply load my custom file into my program.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement