🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games.... uhhh help!

Started by
18 comments, last by d3s3rtf 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello, i am a 16 year old that has good ideas about a game i (and a friend) want to make. I have been researching for my game (its a world war 2 fps) for along time now. I am looking to make my game with a first person shooter engine so i am looking into making a mod for quake3 arena. I dont know the first place to start so anyone with information/experience making quake3 maps,guns, skins, mods please email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i havnt really had time to research making games cuz i have been playing football for my high school but now that that is over (thanks to me breaking my middle finger in the 3rd game) i have lots of time =) Sincerely, Desert Fox Ian Cheshire
Advertisement
hehe
cha cha cha
Why r u laughing...cuz i broke my finger or cuz i wanna make a game? =)
Start Here.
You''re aiming too high.
Exactly how much free time do you have? You got a year? Thats about the minimum youll need before you can create a game. And, if your games a shooter, I suggest coming up with a new idea because in about 2 years they will be illegal (Just an opinion, so no flame wars here)

First you need to get the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler. DO you have any money, the price can be pretty high...

You need to learn C++. I suggest you get the book called "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" and read it about 5 times, and take all the tests, too.

Then, you should buy "Windows Programming from the Ground Up" I believe it is called? Someone correct that if it is wrong.

From there, you need to decide whihc API you want to use. Direct X or OpenGL. If you plan on using OpenGL, I will be able to help you whenever you need it. If you are going with OpenGL, you HAVE to get the book called "OpenGL Game Programming." I dont know anything about Direct X so youll need someone else to help with that.

If you have questions about what I just said, post the question.

Good Luck.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I know i am aiming high but im 16 and i have a lot of time to learn and stuff so i wanna start now. thanks dude for posting all that info!!!!!!!!

Desert Fox
Ian Cheshire
And if you have trouble or need help, email me:

bg_darkelf@hotmail.com

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Age alone wont make a difference. If anything, your telling us that you dont have a job. Meaning..... no money to buy appropriate books (you''ll need a ton of books) or the appropriate tools.

Also, it''s sead FPS are the hardest forms of games to develop, so yes you are aiming too high. Sounds like you want to make a game and not a mod, that could mean having to LICENSE the Q3 engine.
Wait a damn second there. You don''t need Visual C++ but it does make life easier. Dev C++ is free and can do everything you will need. http://www.bloodshed.net is where to get it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement