🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Programming Programs??????????

Started by
4 comments, last by d3s3rtf 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello I am really new to programming (I dont know SHIT), so i was wondering what books, programs (software), tutorials i should read/get. Desert Fox Ian Cheshire (16)
Advertisement
Find a tutorial on C/C++, and get a compiler (which normally includes a linker, assembler, et cetera). A free IDE (in other words: pretty interface ) which uses a Win32 port of GCC is available at bloodshed.net.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Ok, here ya go:

Buy the book "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" or "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours (this one doesn''t teahc as much)"

Buy a compiler, I suggest Code Warrior or Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.

Read the book.

Run the programs in the compiler.

Someone else is going to post telling you: "DevC++ is good, too." but thats probably because it is free. Its kind of confusing.. it would be nice if they changed it to work the same way as MSVC++.

After that.... youll need to learn an API ( which is for actually making games ) Heres a site with the best books around:

www.PrimaGameDev.com

Good luck.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Is it just me or do the same posts seem to appear like everyday, come on newbie people learn to read and search the forum........... oh the stress
To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god.- Napoleon Bonaparte
quote: Original post by DarkenMerlin
Is it just me or do the same posts seem to appear like everyday, come on newbie people learn to read and search the forum........... oh the stress

Well since I volunteered to moderate the beginners forum I have to show patience and can''t get too stressed about these kind of things. I do agree with you completely 100%, however somethings will just never change no matter what you try to do.

YAP-YFIO

-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

Thats what being a beginner is all about and why they have there
own forum. The how do I get started "?" will always be there evey
time someone buys a new game and said this sucks, I could do better,
or bad ass! I wanna make a game. One day I will be the greatest
video game developer in the world! At that point they fall
flat on thier face relizing it isn''t all that easy and
give up or move on a little wiser. Then moveing on to the
other forums and proceed to ask all the same qestions they
hear over and over again. Such is life.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement