🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

who pays

Started by
2 comments, last by return0 12 years, 6 months ago
is it pretty much standard for video game companies to make you pay all your own expenses (hotel/airfare) when traveling to an interview in another state?

Advertisement
No. That is not standard.

Standard: companies don't want to interview out-of-state candidates at all, if they are applying for entry-level positions.

Standard: if a company is willing to consider out-of-state candidates, then when they invite you for an interview, they'll tell you if they are willing to pay for you to travel for the interview or not.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

is it pretty much standard for video game companies to make you pay all your own expenses (hotel/airfare) when traveling to an interview in another state?

Game companies hire local. If you want to get a job in a distant area, especially for beginners, you need to be local.

If you want to get your first job in the industry you will need to move somewhere near games, or you will need to cultivate a specialized skill in another area and then transfer into games.

Game companies will hire from a distance ONLY if the person fills a specific need, AND if the applicant looks good on paper, and looks good in a phone and generally an email interview as well. Then (as Tom said) they will tell you if they are willing to pay for interview travel (in which case they may also help pay some relocation costs because they want the skill) or they will tell you that they are unwilling to pay for interview travel (meaning they are willing to hire you but do not need you enough to pay relocation expenses.)

There are many good local applicants for most positions. Studios generally will not go through that cost.
FWIW I have a personal policy against interviewing places where they expect the candidate to pay significant travel costs, and it's served me pretty well. To me, it says something significant about the company culture. YMMV.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement