🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL Learning Engine

Started by
4 comments, last by brad_beveridge 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi guys, thought this might be a good place to post about this. I''ve just started up a sourceforge project. The aim of the project is to create a 3D engine using OpenGL as a renderer. The engine will be written in C++ & be cross-platform (Win & Linux). The aim of the project is not to make Yet Another Engine. And possibly not even a particularly flash engine, the aim is to make this project into a living tutorial. I''m going to start off with simple classes & code, with tonnes of documentation to show beginners the right way to code, this will be aimed at people who have a reading knowledge of C/C++. After that I will establish a set of classes for actually drawing some 3D objects - this will be a good intro to OpenGL. Then there will be a period of time where the project will focus on OO design and we will establish the framework for the engine using UML. After that more complex subjects will be attempted, things like scenegraph management, multipass texturing, reflections, shadows, particles. Anybody is welcome to join the project & all comments and critisim is welcome. If this sounds like something you''d be into, click here & look around. At the moment there is no source to download. I am currently establishing a framework for the following things, directory structure, makefiles, self documenting code, black box testing of classes, etc. It''s all admin kind of stuff & I should be done in a week or two, then I can release the first CVS snapshot & get into real coding. Cheers Brad
Advertisement
Count me in (although I''m still learning C!)!

=[CodieDAO]=
"A man without something to die for is not worth living"
I am interested to . I am just starting to learn game programing and I need all the help I can get. so.... I''ll be watching you

Good luck with it, when it is finished, be shure to post a link to the site. I am sure by the time it is done I may be able to make one already, but it would be great to see an example from someone who knows better than me.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Hey,

I''m an intermediate C++/OpenGL coder. I''d be willing to do some demos or interface stuff for it. Just drop me an email at DarkSwordTBJ@hotmail.com if you want me to do sumthing

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

Although I'm still learning C++ while taking up my Advanced Diploma course, I would like to join in as part of the team.

You may reach me at savagerx@yahoo.co.uk if you find me acceptable.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

Edited by - savagerx on October 3, 2001 3:02:44 PM
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement