🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Future of C++

Started by
65 comments, last by savagerx 22 years, 8 months ago
After Sun microsystem introduced JAVA donkey years ago, more and more developers(in IT sector esp.) has begun to use JAVA to make their own applications espically for web-based app. because it''s fast and easy. There are also news that developers will be able to create ".EXE" files on JAVA 1.4! and on top of that, Sun is trying to develop Game APIs for JAVA. The points are: (1)whether will JAVA take over C++ to becoming the next main General Purpose Language? (2)how does that affect the type of language used to make games? (3)IF that''s the case, does it implies that we may have to drop C++ and pick up JAVA? I sincerely seek advice from the Pros. The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
Advertisement
I think C++ will reign supreme in the end. Its powerful, portable, its been around longer, and you can implement anything with it. Java can stick to what is was made for; applications.

We R 138
-- master_ball --------------------------------student seeking future game dev career, advice welcome
1. No, i don''t think so. From my experience with Java (which I admit is somewhat limited), and what I have heard from others, although easier, java is slightly slower than c++.
Unfortunatly most programmers don''t worry about speed when writing most applications, since the computers are as fast as they are, they don''t worry about wasting comp cycles.
However, c++ is soooo widely excepted, documented, and has been ported to every half-way common architexture. (Even TI calculators have c compilers if you know where to look)
I can''t comment too well on Java, but I do know that c/c++ is quite close to assembly, and compiles down very well. I have seen a couple tutorials on how to create a few asm macros and effectivly create a c compiler from an assembler, which causes c to be able to be compiled into an extremly fast program, with less cycle waste.

2. The type of language to make games will not be the same for all games. The biggest, newest games will always rely on the fastest language, which is currently c/c++ with a little assembly. The big companies will always love to hear that the slight speed advantage gives the c++ version a few more frames a second.

3. We''ll never have to "drop" c++. Although learning Java to know both can only be a good thing.
Ever heard of ActiveX? You can make C++ work through the web using it... besides, API''s like DirectX have DPlay to allow multiplayer support, and we also have WinSoc for internet stuff..

JAVA is very slow, aposed to C++. If that isn''t fixed, JAVA does not even stand a chance.

Also, Flash 5 can make better apps than JAVA, and they are twice as good and twice as easy to make. Anyone who wastes thier time learning JAVA should think twice... buy a Flash 5 book, its actually worth it. JAVA isn''t.

Thats my opinion.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Java IS A COMPLETLEY WORTHLESS LANGUAGE AND NO ONE ON EARTH SHOULD EVER EVEN CONSIDER USING IT FOR ANYTHING IN WHICH ''SPEED/MEMORY/HARDWARE'' ARE IMPORTANT OR ARE EVEN CONSIDERED BEING USED. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ASKING THIS STUPID AND AGE OLD QUESTION EVER AGAIN!

*sorry, just it makes me mad when people really don''t know much about Java and say ''it is supose to be good... so should I learn it?''*

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! Java = CRAP!

For videogames in applets Java = OK, but other than that the language poses SOOO MANY MORE RESTRICTIONS on the programer than it could EVER possibly provide.

I - Java is cross platform
Yes, and so? Their are plenty of other GUI-Wrappers to get closs platform functionality in C++

II - Java is fast
No, Java is interperted, it is slow
IIa.) Java CAN BE compiled, and THEN it is fast?
If compiled it runs ''faster'' but not on par with C/C++

III - Java is powerful
Yes, it has things like lists and vectors built into the language However has anyone here ever heard of the STL? O'' yeah, although it isn''t official and a pain in the ass.. C++ has got you covered their...

IV - But Java has a cute logo, like Linux and C++ dosn''t
You need to die
CodeSmith the Pixel PusherCodeSmith Webpage
quote: Original post by savagerx
There are also news that developers will be able to create ".EXE" files on JAVA 1.4!
Hasn''t that been the case for a long time? I was building standalone excecutables in Java almost three years ago.

(1)whether will JAVA take over C++ to becoming the next main General Purpose Language?
Although Java''s growing popularity is undisputed, I see no evidence that it''s becoming the general language of choice - and even if it does, it''ll be many years before that happens. Remember, too, that it''s not the only C++ alternative.

(2)how does that affect the type of language used to make games?
Although it''s had some influence in the development of game scripting languages, I seriously doubt the role Java plays in game development will ever be more than marginal.

(3)IF that''s the case, does it implies that we may have to drop C++ and pick up JAVA?
Any competent programmer should be at least familiar with a few languages and be able to pick up any new ones as needed. That said, anyone intending to go into the game industry absolutely needs to know C/C++. That''s not going to change any time soon. Outside the game industry, it doesn''t matter much which language you choose to focus on, since there are jobs to be found for even niche languages.
1.-No pointers <----What class of lenguage dont have pointers ????
2.-Garbage colector <----how need this ?
3.-Interpreted<-----WAAAACKKKKK every time the app ejecutes is interpreted and then compiled in machine code
What Anonymous Poster & Rhino said are accurate.

quote:
Also, Flash 5 can make better apps than JAVA, and they are twice as good and twice as easy to make. Anyone who wastes thier time learning JAVA should think twice... buy a Flash 5 book, its actually worth it. JAVA isn''t.

Don''t get me wrong, flash is deffinately a great platform for online games. But Java has a lot of features that flash 5 doesn''t and shouldn''t. One is a full-featured programming language, the other is a vector-based animation engine. Both have their uses.

quote:
Java IS A COMPLETLEY WORTHLESS LANGUAGE AND NO ONE ON EARTH SHOULD EVER EVEN CONSIDER USING IT FOR ANYTHING IN WHICH ''SPEED/MEMORY/HARDWARE'' ARE IMPORTANT OR ARE EVEN CONSIDERED BEING USED. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ASKING THIS STUPID AND AGE OLD QUESTION EVER AGAIN!

Sigh.

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
I wont say i programmed in Java far enough to comment on this, but still.... few of the applications that i made in Java were horribly slow. Not only slightly slow but just horribly slow in Interpreted mode.

And i really have a very difficult time thinking that Java might take over the Game Industry one day. I dont think that''s gonna happen any sooner. Personally i would never do JAVA for any of my games or simulations or even special effect programs. Java is good but only in terms of Internet n applets, difinitely NOT for Games.

Z
When you use Flash 5 to its limits.... you would no longer argue that JAVA is better.

I would say JAVA is capable of doing what Flash 4 is capable of doing if you max out Flash 4''s capabilities.

JAVA still doesn''t compare to Flash 5.

Most people who learn JAVA are newbies who really didn''t hear about C++, or found the JAVA book titles more interesting so bought them. I remember back when I started game development I saw a book called: "3D Game Programming" or "The Art of 3D Game Programming" with a plain look to it, and then I saw: "The Black Art of JAVA Game Programming" with a wizard on the front. THat appealed to me, plus I saw sample graphics on the back. So I bought it.. in fact, I still have it. Useless piece of junk... the other book used DX and C++ but I didn''t even know what it was. I see it happen often.. of course, when someone with half of a brain told me JAVA was worthless, and I should learn C++, I saw how right she was..

One of the reasons that I always tell people specific book titles of C++ and DX/OGL books when they are first starting is so they don''t make the mistake of getting worthless books and learning useless languages..

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement