🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Future of C++

Started by
65 comments, last by savagerx 22 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by savagerx
After Sun microsystem introduced JAVA donkey years ago, more and more developers(in IT sector esp.) has begun to use JAVA to make their own applications espically for web-based app. because it''s fast and easy. There are also news that developers will be able to create ".EXE" files on JAVA 1.4! and on top of that, Sun is trying to develop Game APIs for JAVA.
The points are:
(1)whether will JAVA take over C++ to becoming
the next main General Purpose Language?

(2)how does that affect the type of language used
to make games?

(3)IF that''s the case, does it implies that we
may have to drop C++ and pick up JAVA?

I sincerely seek advice from the Pros.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

C and C++ are the fastest languages next to writing in Assembly or machine code. Java has it''s uses and C++ has it''s.
Advertisement
I happen to think that Java is a great programming language but not really suited to making certain types of games. It''s perfect for creating servlets and JSP web applications but it not''s fast enough, or flexible enough for most games. Java is certainly not crap but if you want to make games C/C++ is a must. Just my two cents.

Jesus is knocking at the door of your heart, won''''t you let him in?
I guess.. if I was a web designer ( though I am, I find JAVA useless, and I use Flash 4/5.. ), and I did not ever want to make games... I might learn JAVA for the sake of creating web apps so easily. But, JAVA is definately not for making real games.. real meaning games that have a chance of success.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on October 2, 2001 4:40:11 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
quote:
I wont say i programmed in Java far enough to comment on this, but still.... few of the applications that i made in Java were horribly slow. Not only slightly slow but just horribly slow in Interpreted mode.

Give it some time, I bet the first time you programmed in C it was slow to, mainly because you didn't know all the ins and outs of the language. Subscribe to the Java Tech Tips newsletter on the JDC site, it has TONS of trick you can use to speed up your apps.

quote:
I would say JAVA is capable of doing what Flash 4 is capable of doing if you max out Flash 4's capabilities.

JAVA still doesn't compare to Flash 5.

Hmmm...still going to disagree here. Flash lasks a lot of functionality outside the browser environment (IE: filesystem access, TCP/IP functionality) and language features (strong OO capabilities, high-level audio contols, _massive_ number of code libraries to draw from like Swing, JDBC).

quote:
...then I saw: "The Black Art of JAVA Game Programming" with a wizard on the front. THat appealed to me, plus I saw sample graphics on the back. So I bought it.. in fact, I still have it. Useless piece of junk...

Yeah, I got that one awhile back. Completely sub-tastic (not good).

igamemkr: well said.

quote:
But, JAVA is definately not for making real games.. real meaning games that have a chance of success.

Sure, we're not going to see any AAA $20 million dollar games on the Java platform anytime soon, but I know of quite a few small online puzzle/quiz games in both flash and java that are quite popular.

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool

Edited by - wayfarerx on October 2, 2001 4:57:14 PM
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
First off, let me say that absolutes usually aren''t. The statements that "language such-and-such is worthless and only idiots learn it"... well, you get the picture.

quote: Original post by savagerx
(1)whether will JAVA take over C++ to becoming
the next main General Purpose Language?

Keep in mind that C++ is not static either. The language is actively being developed, with some forward-thinking minds (including Bjorne) looking ahead to C++0x - the x indicates it is expected sometime this decade. The intentions are to make C++ (even?) more amenable to systems-level programming: writing device drivers, operating system kernels, etc.

Short answer: no.

quote:
(2)how does that affect the type of language used to make games?

There are different types of games, and different languages are appropriate for programming them - as with all forms of software.

quote:
(3)IF that''s the case, does it implies that we may have to drop C++ and pick up JAVA?

I have to ask you whether you are considering this seriously . C++ will be in use for many years to come, and will continue to improve and become more useful in a wide variety of situations. The usefulness of C++ is validated by the fact that new languages are still being based on it (C#, which is a C/C++ derivative, as is Java .)

There will always be several languages, even when compilers start to speak to us (because then they''ll have to grapple with English, French, Swahili, and other human languages.)
It''s easier to get something started in Java but in the long run, you will find yourself limited by it.

Java to take over C++? For web application and servers, probably. Other things, no.

I wouldn''t trust my important application (ie games) to be written by amatuers who doesn''t know about memory management, byte ordering, etc.

C++, is only just beginning with respect to templates and such. We don''t even have a fully compliant compiler yet!
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Keep in mind that C++ is not static either. The language is actively being developed, with some forward-thinking minds (including Bjorne) looking ahead to C++0x - the x indicates it is expected sometime this decade. The intentions are to make C++ (even?) more amenable to systems-level programming: writing device drivers, operating system kernels, etc.

Finally I know what they meant with the 0x . Standard cross-platform threading is all I needed to hear to be convinced about C++0x''s possibilities .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
C++ is THE LANGUAGE !!!!! (not the man) lol

"The shortcut is not always the best way " ][v][etal ''][''yphoon

Metal Typhoon
First of all, I LOVE C++!! C++ IS THE LANGUAGE!!
However, java also is good, but for other purposes different to game programming. I think that C++ is THE LANGUAGE because you can do anything u want with it.
BY THE WAY, WHERE CAN I FIND MORE ABOUT C++0X, PLEASE!!!

game developer
game developer
Hi!

I think that java is a great programming language for programming web services at the back end. Dynamic access of java objects (you can query the members of a class at runtime,...), one standard language with a great set of apis,... standard access to databases with odbc,... gives you a lot of possibilities to solve a wide range of problems.
Also rich client programming seems to be nice, for example you can define a data browser with programmable cells for data representation,...

But game programming ? there is the java3d api that is based on direct x or opengl (you have the choice), but i think that java is too slow to make action games.
Other games like adventures with java - why not ?

greetings
McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement