🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

i am moving from basic to c and i need help on simple graphics

Started by
3 comments, last by obese 22 years, 8 months ago
i am good at basic and i was using VB, but i didnt have a high enough versoin to use Dx and VB''s 2d was way way too slow for my purposes. i want to use C because it can compile to machine code and be a tons faster than any QB or VB compiled programs because QB and VB dont compile as well. i want to be able to draw a dot on the screen. i would like it to be as direct to the moniter as possible so it can be as absolutely fast as it can be, whilst also being able to do 256 values in R,G,B each. 32bit color, right? i read something about 13h. is this what i want? i dont want to use Dx because it only works on PCs, but im not sure if i want to use opengl. is there a faster way? i need two commands. in basic they are PSET and POINT. draw and read pixels. if i have those i can easily write line circle and box routines. i would rather use what is in graphics.h or use ASM in C++ than a library type thing like opengl because that would be really fast wouldnt it? i saw a program where someone did something like da da da ASM{ da da da dadada } dadada like that. how would i go about doing that (if it would be the best way for my purpose) like what to include etc. one of the most confusing things with c(++) is including files and stuff. i use DevCPP compiler. it is pretty good, but not a single program or snippet i have gotten has worked for me. usually if the main part works fine there are exactly 31 errors with one of the header files. i dont know why. if you help me please include what to include and everything. what i would really like is a simple example to draw and read a pixel but not with 8-bit or #16 colors. if the only way i can do this is by having 256 colors or something well i dont really want to anymore. *\OBESE/*
*OBESE/*
Advertisement
Not trying to be rude, but I''d suggest learning C and/or C++ before you even begin to do graphics.

ANSI C does not include any graphics libraries. All graphics in C are either imported from outside C libraries (machine specific), or machine specific assembly code (what you saw ASM for).

If you still want, check nehe.gamedev.net, or one of the MANY tutorials on gamedev. Try the "For Beginners" link.
Nytegard''s right. And I''ve already posted another reply in your other identic post in the graphics programming forum. You''re an evil double-poster!
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
thanks. i have decided to use opengl. would the best way to do what i wanted to do be to use vertexes or what?
well, yeah ..
also try not to use asm at first since its messy ....
openGL or DX .. its quite easy to use..

Just learn simple C or C++ will do ..

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement