🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Help...Over Here...... PLZ

Started by
28 comments, last by Duxa 22 years, 8 months ago
Well, it is obvious you want results without any work. So, I''ll refrain from responding from now on.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Advertisement
I do want ot put work into it!! Its jsut I clearly asked for someone to show me how to make a map editor or show me how they made one or give an example or somehtign like that! But u tell me about books and crap!! Im not dumb and I could figure that out myself!!!
Tryin to make an RPG game like Diablo II and Everquest combined!! with tons new features!!!
quote: Original post by Duxa
All ur posting are useless comments!!!

Insulting people who are trying to help you doesn''t help you .

quote: I do want ot put work into it!!

Prove it. Put work into it. Outline to us what goes into making a game or a map editor. Since you don''t know, shut up and learn.

quote: Its jsut I clearly asked for someone to show me how to make a map editor or show me how they made one or give an example or somehtign like that! But u tell me about books and crap!!

That books and crap is how. Figure it out, genius.

quote: Im not dumb and I could figure that out myself!!!

Well...?
Thsi whole entire time Im tryin to figure out what goes into building map editor!!!! I read like 50 pages and been to like 100 sites!!! They all say "To start out start with simple build Tetris type of game" ok but how the fuck do I make a tetris type of game!!!!??????
Tryin to make an RPG game like Diablo II and Everquest combined!! with tons new features!!!
Look it up. I referred you to the "For Beginners" link, which has articels on how to make games. You said it was useless. I referred you to the "Articles & Resources" link as well. You paid no attention.

This stuff takes time and patience, and you need to follow it through. You only get what you put into it - you can''t make a map editor overnight. Ask anyone who has made any game or editor and you''ll find that they''ve spent a significant amount of time learning and improving.
1st when I said "that didnt help" I refered to teh post above urs! u replied while I was typin it so it apperared under urs!!

2nd I do know that it takes time sometime even years!!! but I dont even know where to start!!!

3rd those links "Here To start" as I said above say to build Tetris game but it doesnt explain how to build it!! no code examples no step by step explanations examples just some screenshot of a game!!

4th U sand even imagine how many things i looked up in Google and ask.com and I searched everywhere and couldnt find anything specifically on creating game editor!!
I''d forget about Diablo, Everquest and that map editor for now.

If you want to make a Tetris clone you can follow the tutorials here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=33

This will take you through it step by step with code examples.

All you need to get through this is Visual C++ (which you said you have) and the directX SDK. You can download directX from Microsoft''s website. That is all you need for now. Plus a whole lot of patience.

If you can''t make it through this then you''re definitely not ready for a map editor.

So now you know what you need and where to go. Get busy!
Ok THX!!
what should I goto after making Tetris clone???
also what is DirectX SDK?? whats SDK??

Edited by - Duxa on October 7, 2001 10:30:53 PM
quote: Original post by Duxa
Ok THX!!
what should I goto after making Tetris clone???
also what is DirectX SDK?? whats SDK??

Edited by - Duxa on October 7, 2001 10:30:53 PM

my god. calm down. first learn, alot of the programs you make ARENT going to work. ok and you cant just code a program and expect it to run, there WILL be errors. telling us you know SOME C++ doesnt help; just cuz you know how to make a "hello world" app, won do crap for you. read. i dont care how much youve read, read more. read books on game design. calm down and be patient.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/davegpg/
check that

Edited by - outlawartist on October 8, 2001 1:53:37 AM
Game making equation:
(C++ and OOP)-->(WIN32 and basic design)-->(DirectX/ OpenGL)
[Stage one]----[Stage two]----------------[Stage three]

--> (Advanced C++)-->(Advanced DX like Direct3D)-->(more Design)
[Stage four]------[Stage five]-----------------[Stage six]

--> (Industrial experience) = (Game developer)-->(test and debug)
[Stage seven]---------------[OUTPUT]----------[hehe...]

I welcome any comments about the "equation" as I'm a newbie as well.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

Edited by - savagerx on October 8, 2001 10:10:07 AM
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement