🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Finding a Games Programming Placement / Internship?

Started by
2 comments, last by Promit 9 years, 3 months ago

Hi there,

I am currently a second year university student, looking to find a placement in industry (UK).

Where are the best places to look for placements within this field?

Do I just send emails to different companies asking if they would consider it?

Thanks

Advertisement
Most companies have a career section on their website. There you can find information about open internships or, if none is listed, an email address where you could ask if they are offering internships (some companies might not do that at all).

I had to do a 12 month work placement back when I was at University. I didn't think I'd be able to get a placement at a games company but I just emailed every single company I could find and got a few offers.

Also I'm assuming that your Uni has placed people within games companies in previous years. If you can find out which lecturer was the liaison / mentor for those placed students then ask them if they could introduce you to the companies.

Just email lots of companies, regardless of whether or not they list internships. It helps if you have some personal game projects that you've built and can show some generally solid programming experience. (Assuming that you are indeed going for a programming job.)

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement