🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm good at programming my coffee machine, is it enough?

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 3 months ago

Helo there,

I'm interested in how much further knowledge would I need to have an entry level position at a game development company or even if what I have counts.

I have been doing self-thought C++ OOP programming for about 3 – 4 years now during my spare time. I have also been using Ogre3D Graphics Engine quite extensively and I have some experience with DirectX, which I was using for at least a year.

I have made a 2D game with DirectX and C++ and a 3D game with Ogre3D and C++. I've used Blender to make models and manage the scene.

There are some screenshots for the thrill of it:
http://s27.postimg.org/ao0f2n9lv/pong_screenshot.png

http://s1.postimg.org/i544pcnxb/snake_screenshot.png

I know that this is just scraps and nowhere near to the level required in the industry, but I'd like to know your opinion.

I'm retaking my exams this year as I'm currently on a gap year. I had some quite severe cases of anxiety and depression last year due to the exams and I will try to take the exams this year somehow. My grades will end up bad and I will have to defer my application for another year. I'm really tired of being in this state of mind.

I remember when I was 10, I spent months trying to firgure things out and implement stuff, now I'm 19 and I spend my days trying to cram irrelevant stuff just to get a letter on a piece of paper; progress...

I'll probably end up flipping burgers anyway, so any advice/comment is appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

I'm good at programming my coffee machine, is it enough?
I know that this is just scraps and nowhere near to the level required in the industry...
I spent months trying to firgure things out and implement stuff, now I'm 19 and I spend my days trying to cram irrelevant stuff just to get a letter on a piece of paper; progress...
I'll probably end up flipping burgers anyway

Is this a serious question, or are you just trying to get a flame war started?
Tell you what. I'm closing the thread. You are welcome to start over, without the sarcasm, depression, and doom and gloom. I recommend you read this forum's FAQs before you re-post.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement