🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Areas of work for a programmer

Started by
1 comment, last by FMelo__ 9 years, 3 months ago

Guys, I'm starting to study game development but I'm already a programmer (Android, HTML/CSS, JS and a little of Java and C#).

My question is about the areas of work in the industry..

My objective is not to make a game on my own, but train to get on a AAA developer. But I don't know exactly how all the possible areas work in coding.

I know the options (add more if I forgot any) and I know the basics, but nothing that makes me decide one. In real life, on a AAA game development how this works? I know that are plenty of people for each of them..

AI; [NPCs actions]

Gameplay; [Player actions]

Tools; [Trisselation, Filters...]

Engine; [Don't know for sure, but I think that's something with build an platform to run design and code together]

Physics; [Colisions...]

Environment; [State of the world like weather, day/night cycle...]

Network; [Connectivity and Multiplayer]

and UI; [How information about the game is presented to the player]

I'm mistaken about anything (or everything)?

I'm 23, a bit old for start this career, so I want some direction to follow and don't lose much time studding something to find that is not for me. Or perhaps this is the only way to know what I want for sure.

Is there any book that explains more detailed or site, or someone who knows more about these?

--

I'm sorry for my english and if I wasn't clear.. Thanks in advance for everyone who at least read this.

Advertisement

Moving to the job advice area of the site.

Please check out the many links in the FAQ about the subject.

Moving to the job advice area of the site.

Please check out the many links in the FAQ about the subject.

Oh Thanks. Sorry for my mistake :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement