🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online Portfolio Feedback

Started by
7 comments, last by Simensis 9 years, 2 months ago

Hello everybody!

I just graduated as a Digital Artist and am currently working on my game portfolio. I would like some feedback and advice on how to make it the best possible.

I am seeking to get myself into the industry and get my name out there but would like to have a good portfolio first.

http://www.simensisgames.com

The website serves as an online portfolio and as the site of my own indie game studio. I was wondering if having both of these things in the same site is a good idea or I should do separate sites, one for my portfolio and the other as a studio website.

Any kind of feedback will be totally appreciated whether it is on content, form or both.

Advertisement

Are you looking for a job in design or art?

Are you looking for a job in design or art?

My objectives are focused on Game Design, Scripting, Programming (specially for prototyping) and as a Technical Artist. Although I have experiencie in 2D and 3D art because of my education, I am not looking for a position specialized in the creation of assets, I'm leaning more on the implementation area.

I cannot recall ever seeing someone hired as a Technical Artist out of school. Leave that one out.

Similarly, I can't think of a time when I'd hire a programmer purely for prototyping -- if they aren't at the skill level to be doing production work, I'm not going to hire them as a programmer at all.

Figure out what job you want, and give a detailed portfolio showing what you contributed.

If it's programming, show me code.

If it's scripting, show the scripts.

If it's game design, show me the design documents.

When I was looking to hire entry level, I wasn't looking for a jack-of-all-trades, I was looking for a solid candidate for exactly the role I needed to fill.

I cannot recall ever seeing someone hired as a Technical Artist out of school. Leave that one out.

Similarly, I can't think of a time when I'd hire a programmer purely for prototyping -- if they aren't at the skill level to be doing production work, I'm not going to hire them as a programmer at all.

Figure out what job you want, and give a detailed portfolio showing what you contributed.

If it's programming, show me code.

If it's scripting, show the scripts.

If it's game design, show me the design documents.

When I was looking to hire entry level, I wasn't looking for a jack-of-all-trades, I was looking for a solid candidate for exactly the role I needed to fill.

Understood, thank you very much for your time! I'll totally work on that.

My objectives are focused on Game Design, Scripting, Programming (specially for prototyping) and as a Technical Artist.
That is the opposite of "focused".

Design and technical artist are both out, they require years of experience.

That leaves "scripting" and "programming". I suggest you just look for "gameplay programmer" that normally handles both and call it your focus.

My objectives are focused on Game Design, Scripting, Programming (specially for prototyping) and as a Technical Artist.
That is the opposite of "focused".

Design and technical artist are both out, they require years of experience.

That leaves "scripting" and "programming". I suggest you just look for "gameplay programmer" that normally handles both and call it your focus.

Understood! Thank you for your advice! I shall focus on that then.

I would agree with Frob, narrowing your focus will allow you to be picked up sooner than later. Additionally, continuously adding to your portfolio greatly increases your odds. Without years of experince you need to have a clear target for your skill set and keep adding new skills.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

I would agree with Frob, narrowing your focus will allow you to be picked up sooner than later. Additionally, continuously adding to your portfolio greatly increases your odds. Without years of experince you need to have a clear target for your skill set and keep adding new skills.

Thank you! That's exactly what I will do.

And thank you guys so much for your feedback. After so much reflection I have decided to focus on environment art. Of course I will have to change my portfolio accordingly and make new things to add. It feels good to find something clear to do now!

Once again I thank you all so much for your time, you've helped me a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement