🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio review and some questions

Started by
1 comment, last by SteveL31 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

I am currently an undergraduate Software Engineer,for the next semester I need to make my obligatory internship(part of my 4 year course), and I want to use the opportunity that Erasmus is giving me and make my internship at a foreign European country in a game studio.

I am spending time creating games for the past 5 years and I think this is what I want to do for the rest of my life and taking an intership in this field is a step in the right direction, I only have some questions and some advice on my portfolio site

1)Is my portfolio enough to have a chance in catching an internship in an AAA studio? Like Ubisoft or Bathesda? I personally don't have a problem working in an indie studio given that their games are in the style that I would like to work on.I just want to know where to aim.

http://www.liakisstefanos.me

2)I have a very good knowledge of java which of course is kinda useless in game programming,my c# as well my c++ is not bad either but I have some wholes.

3)All of my games are from scratch and I am not familiar with game engines like UDK and Unity3D(maybe some basics here) but I am familiar with component based entity systems and I am a optimization junkie who prefers to work on engine programming.

4)I am from Greece and some of the studios I like are in Finland and other non-English speaking countries, how is it going to be there for someone who knows only English? Are people(at least in AAA studios) use English to communicate(jobs assignments etc)

5)If I get into a situation where 2 companies are interested in me(and pass the tests) ,how can I decline the one? I mean should I tell them that I found job somewhere else?

Advertisement

I managed to destroy my answer but in short:

You have no problems with english in Finland. None.

In Finland there is a trial period where both parties can end the job instantly without reason. So if you have been accepted into two jobs then just choose.

Imho any application in english will get more attention than random finnish one.

Your page looks bad. Try something simple with bootstrap.
Also why is your post here longer than in the page itself?

There are typos on the page. There should be none.

Layout seems to go everywhere:

snapshot1.png

I managed to destroy my answer but in short:

You have no problems with english in Finland. None.

In Finland there is a trial period where both parties can end the job instantly without reason. So if you have been accepted into two jobs then just choose.

Imho any application in english will get more attention than random Finnish one.

Your page looks bad. Try something simple with bootstrap.
Also why is your post here longer than in the page itself?

There are typos on the page. There should be none.

Layout seems to go everywhere:

Thank you for your feedback, yes the page looks horrible, especially in devices with narrow screens where everything gets messed up.My css is lame, good thing I am not going for a web designer career :) , I will check out bootstrap or some other ready solution like a wordpress theme.

Nice to hear that I will not have problems with the language in Finland, and the trial period sounds good for avoiding awkward situations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement