🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Masters Degree for Someone Who Wants to Become a Producer

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 6 months ago
(I'm posting this on other forums as well.)
Hello!
I was asked by a friend to help her start her indie game company (remotely, in my case; she's in California and I'm clear across the US). I already have my BSc in Game Design, an AAB in Flash Game Programming, and a certificate in Interactive Entertainment Technology (plus several other degrees and certificates that I don't think really pertain to game development). She asked me if I'd ever consider getting a master's degree. It's been something I've been thinking about doing once I get the money. I want to ultimately be a producer and I was wondering what I should think about when it comes to a masters degree. Here are two that I've found so far:
I'm still looking, but I'm asking what else should I look for in my search? I want to make sure I can not only help my friend, but also help myself in the future if need be. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will answer any inquiries as soon as I can. I'm recovering from a medical procedure I had done a week before Christmas and I'm also taking care of my father while he recovers from a knee replacement that he had done three days before Christmas.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Raptor

Advertisement

She asked me if I'd ever consider getting a master's degree. It's been something I've been thinking about doing

That intro to your question doesn't tell us enough. Your question seems to be, "where should I get my Masters so I can be a producer," but doesn't ask "do I need a Masters degree to be a producer."
Where doesn't matter, if you've decided you want to go for it.
But you don't need a Masters degree, really. It would be a good thing to have if you ever decide to go into teaching, as I have.
If you want to learn skills that will be of help to you in producing, you could consider an MBA. Especially if in the future you might want to form a startup.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement